He has a drinking problem, should I always just be understanding?

He shuts us out all the time because he drinks and then tells me that he can't make it over.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• he needs some help. encourage him to go to AA or speak to a religious figure (if he's religious, of course)
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 4:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• my brother (whom I love dearly )is an alcoholic...i can tell you it is not going to get better. I can't count how many times I had one of his girlfriends crying on my shoulder . He's a great guy-when he's not drinking...but when he is it's like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde.
    ivebcummymother

Answer by ivebcummymother at 4:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I just went through a break up (still going through it actually) because my son's father refused to quit his drinking, both my parents were alcoholics and the alcohol killed them, leaving me and my now 15 year old brother with no parents by the age of 22 (me) and 12 (my lil bro) so I have strong feelings about not raising my child in an alcoholic home. Trust me for your childrens sake and his, don't enable him, set boundaries and stick to your resolve. If he has a problem, he needs to address it not blame others or deny his way around it.
    LuvMyHazelEyez

Answer by LuvMyHazelEyez at 5:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Sounds like you're done with the dude. Find yourself some Al-Anon groups and work out what you're getting out of a relationship that's polluted with alcohol. Who is this 'he' -- clearly not someone you are so entangled with that he's living with you -- that you care how much he's drinking or why?

Find something else to do with your time. His drinking can't be the most interesting thing in your world, and there is not a single thing you can do to control it.

LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 5:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• "He" is my boyfriend of two years and I do love him and want to be with him but his drinking problem is tearing me apart. He does not live with us and is living with his friend.
    Anonymous