Is it ok to give a breastfed baby formula?

My husbands mother wants to take the baby for a couple hours, is it ok to give him formula?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Only if you want to. You could just pump a bottle for him/her. But if you plan on supplementing with formula later it probably doesn't matter. He/she may not take to it tho if its their first time.

LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 4:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• How old is he? If he is under 4 weeks old, then you should avoid it. If he is a bit older and the breastfeeding relationship is well established, then it will be fine. Has he taken a bottle before?

If he's really little though, waiting a couple weeks to do this might be a better option.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• She may or may not take it. You could try pumping or feed her right before you drop her off and pick her up when its time to feed her again. If u give formula she might not take it and it might upset her tummy or she may be just fine =) do what u feel is best
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Sorry HE....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 4:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It won't hurt him to have some formula. I supplemented when I could pump extra milk so the twins dad could feed them when they were around 2 weeks old. He'll be fine. Ask your pediatrician which brand he/she recommends. Hope he enjoys his day with grandma!!!! How fun!
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 4:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• oops i meant "couldN'T" pump LOLLLL in my post up there sorry!
    CinderAmethyst

• It would definitely be best for baby & grandma if you pumped. If you are dead set on introducing formula make sure to do so before you give grandma baby. Baby could have a horrible reaction, refuse the bottle all together, and become a 'different' baby after formula is given (uncomfortable crying, gassy, spit up, stomach problems, etc. etc.).  All of which you don't want grandma to be the one to have to deal with, especially for the first time.

Anonymous

• It's ok... but I wouldn't. Formula is really, really harsh on an infants stomach and a breastfed infant may feel lots of pain and discomfort and stomach upset. I would pump personally.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 5:27 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• If you're never GIVEN the baby formula, I wouldn't recommend experimenting via grandma...she might call you earlier than any of you expect!

First things first...will baby take a bottle or sippy? Get that established with pumped milk. Then you can decide whetehr you'd prefer to spemnd the time pumping or the money on formula...and if the latter, you need to establish that it will be taken.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't. I really don't trust formula. They are always being recalled. - And this is from a mother who used formula the first couple months.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2009