Have you read the book The Israel Lobby?

The Israel Lobby and U.S. Foreign Policy by John J. Mearsheimer and Stephen M. Walt...If so, what do you think? I heard a discussion on NPR with the authors, and the bit I heard was intriguing.

(And please let's be very clear on the difference between anti-Semitism and possible criticism of Israeli policy or the Israel Lobby in the US. )

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 4:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I totally agree, there is a difference between tolerance of religions (judisasm, muslim, etc) and the blind support of a government that says, if you don't support us you don't support our religion. And that just isn't true.
    Anonymous

• I haven't read the book. However, I can't agree with anon1:42 in the case of Israel. Israel is almost by definition a "Jewish" state. Of course, the same can also be said for countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran and Islamamic faith. The difference being the Jewish faith has suffered more than any other faith in history. JMO
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• "I haven't read the book. However, I can't agree with anon1:42 in the case of Israel. Israel is almost by definition a "Jewish" state. Of course, the same can also be said for countries such as Saudi Arabia and Iran and Islamamic faith. The difference being the Jewish faith has suffered more than any other faith in history. JMO"

Thanks for addressing that, yourspecialkid! It's one reason that any discussion of this issue has to be handled so delicately and with great sensitivity for that history (and currently existing anti-Semitism.) I believe that is addressed in the book - I know that the authors support the continuation of the Israeli nation as a Jewish state and agree with its establishment. They aren't arguing against Israel - I wouldn't have even asked about the book if I thought it was that kind of book.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 8:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2009