Baby shower etiquette.

I have two boys already and am thinking about having a third baby. I had a shower with my first and didn't have one with my second. We had everything already anyway... Is it poor etiquette to have a shower with children other than the first? I was thinking, I'd like to celebrate, I guess, and if I have a girl this time (which I plan to find out during the U/S) I'll definitely need girly stuff... Is it wrong of me?

iluvmommyhood58

Asked by iluvmommyhood58 at 4:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You know what, I don't think it is in poor taste at all! Babies are a wonderful gift that should be celebrated, the only thing I would take into consideration is not to put any really high ticket items on your registry, most people would figure you already had a crib, bassinet, stroller, swing, etc....
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 5:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• yes.......its greedy to have more than 1
    Anonymous

• Im not sure it is up to you. I think it is ok to have a shower for a girl when you already have boys, but someone you know has to come up with the idea and throw it. If they want to no reason for you to say no.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• If you were to know you were having a girl it would be acceptable, other wise it is really in bad taste.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 4:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I did that too, had one with my first ( a boy) and then my second, 2 years later, I didnt (another boy) my 3rd was born 4 years later, and I had one then (girl) and I am pregnant again, and having another girl so no shower again. I dont think there is anything wrong with it, and if someone does whats the worst that can heppen besides them not coming. I actually had people asking me why I didnt with my second but I was like you, still had everything and didnt really feel comfortable do it when I was having another boy.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i dont think its greedy to have more than one.epseciall if your second child is born a good while longer after your first and you dont have too much left from the first.Or if you are having a diff sex than the last child.I had 2 showers with my daughter (all because split family problems). She will be 2 this weekend..and i am prego with a boy now so yeah i had a shower this time too.all cause i didnt have any boy things.But i think if i was having a girl this time too i would still have a shower concidering it has been 2 yrs...and i wouldnt have had anything left from when she was a baby.I dontthink its greedy.Dont listen to what others tell you about it being greedy or selfish.You do what you want.But I say go for it.If you do feel bad about it or anything...have a diaper shower to get dipers wipes and baby bath stuff.you know you can never get enough of all that stuff.
    Anonymous

• Do what you want. The only time I wouldn't suggest having another shower is if you had a boy/girl and then became pregnant within 2 years after with the same sex as before. It's really not necessary. I had a baby boy 6 months ago and if I'm pregnant with a girl this time around (I'm 9 weeks) I plan on having another baby shower completely guilt free. :] My family and friends understand that I am young and it'll be tough with two babies so I know that they won't mind. Plus, you DOESN'T like buying cute girl clothes?
    ours

Answer by ours at 4:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Of course not. Every baby deserves to be celebrated.
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 5:12 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I dont think that its a bad thing to have more than one baby shower even if it is a boy!!! In this economy everyone needs all the help you can get and besides this is not 1900's. Thats old school style not to have more than one baby shower. So party on girl!
    Tris_09

Answer by Tris_09 at 5:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Are you kidding? My cousin's had 4 children (just had her 4th baby 2 weeks ago) and my sister's had 5 biological children (she also has a stepdaughter and a foster child). They've had baby showers for every one of their children. What's a little cake, games, and gifts? Have fun and celebrate your baby.

I had one for my DD1 at work with work people. With DD2, she is 8 years apart. We didn't have one for her. With #3, we'll be having a celebration after the baby's born because in DF's culture (Italian), it's considered bad luck to have one before you have the baby. I'm not a baby shower person at all, but I think if you want to have one, it's your call!
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 5:34 PM on Jun. 5, 2009