Twins: vaginal or c-section

I am expecting twins and my doctors are strongly recommending trying vaginal delivery, even though I have concerns and would like to know more about c-sections. I'm over 37 weeks now. Has anyone experienced doctors who completely are against c-sections?

ELLEBASS

Asked by ELLEBASS at 4:49 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'd go for vaginal. There was a woman that had a C-section the same day as I gave birth and I was able to get up and walk around, but she had to have a bed pan.
    Anonymous

• i never had twins, and i havent had my 1st child yet im expecting though.my opinion is u do wut u feel u wanna do it isnt up to your doctors.even though it would be quicker to do a c secton, vaginal delivery is the natural way you noe? might be pain but i think its healthier to usually people do c sections only when the baby is having complications.i would try for vaginal delivery but thats just my opinion.good luck and congrats
    Desi2Sweet

Answer by Desi2Sweet at 4:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• your Vagina is going to be like one of those log shoot water rides- lol.
    its odd thta your doctor rather a vaginal dilivery- alot of doctors are pushing c-sections now a days because its less stressfull on the baby and faster!
    not to mention they make ALOT more money doing a C-section-
    bottom line is, its YOUR choice-
    your paying your doctor for servics, he is employed by YOU.
    if you want a C-section tell him now-because if he refuses your gonna be screwed the day you go into labor when they throw just any doctor your way.
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 4:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Vaginal is going to be tons easier to recover from. And with having twins, you are going to need to be up and around alot quicker than surgery would allow you to be. I would try at least.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 4:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• thanks, they even told me at my doctors that my insurance may not pay for it because it is considered "elective"! I called my insurance when I got home and they told me that was complete BS. I understand the recovery is worse with a c-section, but the risks and uncertainties of having twins born vaginally scares me. there is a good chance I could have one and then end up having to have a c-section for the second one!
    ELLEBASS

Answer by ELLEBASS at 4:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• No, but the science is on your drs side - vaginal birth is better for your babies as they have more chance of having respiratory issues if they are born by Cesarean, and aiming for a vaginal delivery is prudent if there is no danger to mother or the babies.

Cesarean Fact Sheet

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Thank you Collinsky for the fact sheet - I think I am just so confused about what is best. I've heard pros and cons for both and with twins, there is no right answer!
    ELLEBASS

Answer by ELLEBASS at 4:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• "there is a good chance I could have one and then end up having to have a c-section for the second one!" That is a possiblity... will your dr do an ultrasound while you're in labor to determine the babies' positions? If both are head down, it is unlikely that that will be needed, and both should be able to come out fine - the second is often easier in these cases. If the second is breech, that will probably be a grey area and your dr will see what kind of breech it is, how the baby is doing, how you are doing, etc... but many times a second breech baby is born just fine without surgery.

And even though your dr is committed to delivering babies vaginally if at all possible, rest assured that he will perform a Cesarean at the drop of a hat if there is a problem; his malpractice insurance makes anything else untenable.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• "Thank you Collinsky for the fact sheet - I think I am just so confused about what is best. I've heard pros and cons for both and with twins, there is no right answer!"

It's really really hard to get to your own intuition when there are a hundred voices in your head saying, "But what if.....?????" It's hard in even an uncomplicated pregnancy... your twin pregnancy is apparently quite healthy and normal, but at the same time more inherently complex than a singleton, kwim? You will come to the answer that's best, safest, and healthiest for you and your babies.

And congrats, BTW!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 5:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• what I dont get is sometimes your body stops labor after one baby is born, and they have to rush you into a csection anyway?
    why not save all teh drama and bull between there births and get it done at once?
    my sisters labor stopped after the first came out- its commen because the body only expects one baby to come out and once the plecenta detaches your body assumes its over-
    are they identical?
    one plecenta or two?
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 5:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2009