how can u get ur kids to clean

I have a problem to get my kids to clean their mess and their room I need help lol

fancy252

Asked by fancy252 at 5:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• How old are they? I reward mine for their work and they are happy to keep their rooms clean.
    stepmom2212

Answer by stepmom2212 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i make mine clean up what they have drug out everynight.. im not a maid.. and they are 5yrs and 18m sister.. tell them, reward them, make them.. dont let them think they are in charge of this..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• They are ages 9 and 7
    fancy252

Answer by fancy252 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• At age 7 and 9 they should learn responsibility. They are old enough to pick up behind themselves. Let them know that you like your home to be clean and they should want to keep their rooms nice, especially if they have playmates over....and of course reward them for their good work.
    stepmom2212

Answer by stepmom2212 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I ask my kids to clean up their rooms once. I will remind them one more time and remind them that I will go in there with a trash bag and clean it for them. If they still don't clean, I follow through. I take the trash bag in their room and sadly, they will run in their room and start cleaning. After having a few of their things thrown in the trash, they make more of an effort to clean up when I ask.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Making a quick chore list and posting it on the fridge is an easy way and also a stable reliable way for them to remember what you need for them to do.

I would first begin by helping them clear their room of items that they no longer want to care for. Most kids have too many toys and too many things in their rooms that make their room look messy to begin with. This makes them feel too much responsibility over things.

Next, show them how to clean and where to put things. After this, sit with them and show them the new list and what expectations you will have for each chore, like what standard of clean you are asking for.

You can use a wipe off board if you want to change their chores everyday or print the same list on the computer so they can check off what they complete. Add specific times so that its becomes a regular routine. Always insist on a positive attitude and response from the kids. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:28 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• At 7 and 9 they are old enough to clean there rooms. The PP is correct, help them clean it show them what you expect (remember age appropriate). Make a check off list for them. 1. make beds. 2. pick up toys ect. Make it manditory that beds are made when they get up. Even if they have to get up 10 minutes earlier for school. Dont allow food in there rooms. Get bins for there toys. Help them decide which toys stay and which toys go. Let them know from now on toys stay in the bins. What doesnt get picked up before bed gets tossed. This teaches them real quick to only get one bin out at a time. It may be difficult at first but if you are consistant soon it will become a habit.

Remember you are the mom. IF your kids arent doing what they are told or expected.......its because your allowing it :). Kids learn very quickly when there is NOT any kind of reaction to there "non action". Good luck.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 3:33 AM on Jun. 6, 2009