How can the liberal media make unemployment look good? (Click Here To Find Out!)

When rushing his TRILLION dollar stimulus through Congress, Obama promised to create or save 4 million jobs, and that the unemployment rate would bottom out at 7.8%.

Well, as of today, 2 million jobs have been lost since the inauguration and the unemployment rate has hit 9.4% (a 25 year high!).

So, let's pretend you're a major US newspaper....how can you spin the news? Just print an article extolling the excitement of "FUNemployment!!!"

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-funemployment4-2009jun04,0,7581684.story

LoriKeet

Asked by LoriKeet at 5:05 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm speechless lorikeet. mostly because of this "silly little blurb" that is two pages long, but hits the nail on the head about people today and their sense of entitlement. This is all too true and all too sad! they are accepting of this behavior by printing this article. NOT OK. and YES, the liberal media is outrageous. So nice of them to accept this behavior and make people lives look like spring break on uncle sam's dime. but who cares at this point right? Obama has made the value of a dollar equivalent to monopoly money anyway. Obama is filling this country with empty promises while people still worship him and get a suntan.

No matter what you say, some cafemoms just will NOT get it....
    thundernlight

Answer by thundernlight at 10:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Don't blame me! I voted McCain!
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 5:16 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Oh yes, lets blame President Obama for the current unemployment rate....It had NOTHING to do with the last 8 years....The recession started in January...umm, NOT!

What did GWB's stimulus do? Whom did it help?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 5:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• GW Bush, unemployment, 5-6% = "Jobless Recovery"

Obama, unemployment 9% (and rising) = "FUNemployment!"

No media bias there! (sarcasm)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Then we have this "lovely" little graph! (scroll to bottom of the article)

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2009/05/18/business/econwatch/entry5023220.shtml

This graph was put out by the White House. I guess a trillion dollars doesn’t get you much these days! ::sigh::

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• How do you read this as putting a positive spin, though? I read it as a look at a social phenomenon. Definitely one for the Internet generation...notice that the article states most of them are in their 20s and 30s.

Quote: "As frivolous as it sounds, funemployment is a statement about American society. Experts say it's both a reflection of the country's cultural narcissism -- and attitudes of entitlement and self-centeredness -- and a backlash against corporate America and its "Dilbert"-like work environment."

Most of the newspaper readers, who skew considerably older, will be shaking their heads.

I especially like the advice doled out to one of the "funemployed" by a fortune teller in Mongolia: "On a Post-it, she wrote his fortune in Cyrillic. The last sentence, in a nutshell: Go back to work."

Answer by gdiamante at 5:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• gdiamante-

Positive spin is printing an article about the fun aspects of unemployment (regardless of how self centered the people in it are) at the same time:

-We are at a 25 year high in unemployment
    -The unemployment rate is much WORSE than even the White House said it would be if we didn't pass the stimulus bill
    -Obama is going around talking about how the stimulus saved 150,000 jobs when over 2 million other jobs have been lost since he took over

A media interested in reality instead of covering up for their guy would have been too embarrassed to run an article like this.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• LoriKeet, we're going to disagree. I don't see this as positive spin but as reporting on something going on.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• And BTYW...I happen to live the unemployment picture right now...DH was laid off in April and many of my friends are out of work. I don't see that article as positive...I see the people portrayed as being foolish.

If somethng raises the hackles of BOTH sides...and mine are raised byt he actions of those portrayed...the writer's done the correct job. If you're happy with everything an outler reports, the outlet just reflects your bias. You SHOULD be pissed about somethng in the paper daily.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2009