HPV while pregnant?

I just got back from my 17 week check up and the doctor said my pap came up positive for the HPV virus, he said it wasn't contagious because it was internal and not warts and that he couldn't do anything until i had the baby. I'm so very very confused as to what HPV is and what kind i could have. anything for me?

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• HPV is NOT herpes. (Just wanted to get that straightened out). I was in a study for HPV in 2003-4.

2ndly, believe it or not it CAN clear itself from your system. This depends on the 1 of 40+ strand you have. Mind you, it's EXTREMELY rare to only catch 1 strain. Think of it as a virus with a "pack mentality".
    I was diagnosed (blood test and a few bumps) in early '03. Since 2005 all of my blood tests for EVERY HPV strand has come back as negative. However, it CAN lay dormant in your body at undetectable levels (and unharmful).

If I were to expose myself to the virsus again, it would come back quickly. Whereas if I were someone who has never been exposed to it in the past, I could have the chance of NOT catching it. ... some ppl are more resistant to certain HPV strands than others.

I hope this has helped.

Jennille

Answer by Jennille at 6:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I think but not sure it has something like herpes. It is usually contracted thru ur partner.
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 5:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• U can also be born with it.
    there are two types of HPV one never effects you directly, and the other can cause infertility and cause certin kinds of cancers-
    when you have HPV it means you have cells that could potentially cause cancer in your vigina.
    the worse cases have warts and anal warts associated with them.
    A friend of mine has HPV, its a sexually transmitted VIRUS wich means as long as its not the worse case it can be treated!
    judith_visco

Answer by judith_visco at 5:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Genital human papillomavirus (HPV) is the most common sexually transmitted infection (STI). The virus infects the skin and mucous membranes. There are more than 40 HPV types that can infect the genital areas of men and women, including the skin of the penis, vulva (area outside the vagina), and anus, and the linings of the vagina, cervix, and rectum. You cannot see HPV. Most people who become infected with HPV do not even know they have it
    neveragain17

Answer by neveragain17 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• http://www.cdc.gov/STD/HPV/STDFact-HPV.htm
    neveragain17

• Ummmm...You're not born with HPV, it's a sexually transmitted disease. They used to say it was lifelong, but now new research says that it can clear up on it's own. HPV will not affect an unborn baby and you may or may not ever get warts. If you do have warts while delivering you can give it to your child-THATS THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN BE BORN WITH IT-If a mother has warts while delivering, but that shouldn't happen either, because your Dr. will perform a C-section to prevent this. So it would be very uncommon for a person to be born with it.
    You're fine, just stop thinking about it or it will drive you nuts. Your Dr. will know what to do when the baby is born.
    Anonymous

• yeah i read that site. he said it wasn't contagious and that there were no warts and it was in my internal cells which caused my pap to come back abnormal and he couldn't scope me til after i had the baby. that's literally everything i know
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• What a great doctor you have! (Dripping with sarcasm, of course) Did you not ask the questions or did he not offer any advise or answers?! Jeez. Thats horrible. Tell you and send you out the door to stew! I would call back the office and demand some answers or a handout or SOMETHING! Of course you can look it up on the internet but you have specific question for your body and your baby. I would be more worried about my doctor right now than anything!
    MarynmomofColby

Answer by MarynmomofColby at 8:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I was told after my last pap smear that I also had hpv which is not possible. Both dh and I have only ever slept with each other and since it is sexually transmitted, well, not possible. Anyway, I had the pap at my 6 week check up after my son was born. Ended up having other test and everything was fine. Turned out my hormones from being pregnant and all is what caused the result. I would say that if you are pregnant when you had the pap done it could be the same case with you.
    Anonymous

• HPV is contagious. Internal (microsopic warts on your cervix) or external warts it doesn't matter. Do you really think people have sex with partners with large visible warts? I didn't and I have/had it. Back in 1996 I was diagnosed with it, treated but my partner wasn't (that didn't make sense becasue he just reinfected me) but after a number of years my pap smears no longer showed any signs of it. For me, they did colposcitys about once a year( one while I was preggers and I had contractions and they wanted to keep me in the hospital over night) and pap smears 2x a year. They treated it with a cryo (freezing the cervix) 1 time.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2009