Do you know what a czar is?

So , Obama has 16 Czars and counting . A czar is - An emporer or King
An autocratic ruler or leader
Any person exercising great power or authority in a single power

These czars do not report back to anyone but the President. They can spend their money anyway they want pertaining to their so called specialty. Some of Obamas czars are Border czar, stimulus czar, Urban affairs czar, car czar and he is about to name a cyber czar. Oh must not forget the great lakes czar who protects the fish in the great lakes?
I'm thinking I don't have to tell you this is just another way for government to exert power while wasting our tax money. Don't you think so?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 5:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Well it's better than former president Bush. He thought he was a czar or king.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 5:37 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• welcome in socialism:)
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:43 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Czars have been around in American government since the Nixon administration, starting with drug czars. The terminology was a bit different then.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• These areas of supervision are already covered in public departments, but those departments have their activities legally visible to the public.

So creating a czar outside of the department does neatly side-step all that pesky accountability to taxpayers, the drudgery of getting approvals from Congress, and stuff.

waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 5:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I always thought a czar was a Russian Emperor....Call me stupid, but we have czars HERE???? That is something I truly did not know... Barack Obama can get off his high horse now. What the heck is he trying to do to us???
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 5:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Oh my, that is just a reference that the media uses for the past 4 Administrations to describe the person that is in charge of each individual department as they are supposed to be experts. That was really very silly.
    Anonymous

• http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/01/us/01powell.html

http://www.jointogether.org/news/headlines/inthenews/2009/acting-drug-czar-named-by.html

http://www.namedevelopment.com/blog/archives/2008/12/naming_czars_in.html

The end of my comment was rude, sorry. But here are some examples and then the facts of where the word came from in US Politics. And it isn't the media that started it.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 6:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Great contribution there teamquinn..........<<>>.

OP, I totally agree with you as I do some of the othe PP's. It is sickening.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 7:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• LOL, you do hear a lot about the various czars. However, they are not a new position in the government, but there is a lot of appointments right now due to it being the beginning of the term, and also the various "disasters" including the economy making it necessary to have a team working specifically on a certain issue. But to act like they work outside the law with no accountability is just plain wrong. They are just scientists, business people and other educated and experienced people who give recommendations and information to the President.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I see alot of people know nothing about what is going on in our government.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 9, 2009