Has anyone seen the commercials for "Your Baby can Read?" or tried it??

I want that! If it actually works!

MommyKKay

Asked by MommyKKay at 5:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• P.S. It's 200.00+ tax!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 5:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I've never seen this and when or if I do I will laugh. A baby can't read. He/she CAN memorize pictures and attach the word to the picture and I'm sure it helps with future reading, but your baby will not be reading shakespere anytime soon.

Go to walmart and get some "My baby can read" flashcards. It's the same exact concept, but for $3.99. My daughter has these and knows all of them.

Good luck, don't waste your $$$$
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I saw that. Ya know, I m just not sure thats worth it. What does it accomplish? I mean you cant send your 12 mo old to school or college just because they can read. I guess I just felt that it was unnecessary. I dont know, it might be because I already have a teen, a tween, a 7 yr old and a 3 yr old and all 3 of my older kids are breezing through school with A's and nearly perfect scores on the standarized tests. So is my nephew. NOne of them could read as a baby and were fairly average toddlers. My oldest and my nephew are considered gifted. So I know that achievement and high academic standards can be accomplished by other ways. Also if you know what they are doing, then you can do it on your own rather than pay someone to show you how. I think its a money making scheme. Thats just my opinion. If you think you want it, then by all means do it. Its just my thoughts. GL.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 5:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I could read Dr. Suess books when I was 3 and I think it gave me a huge advantage in school. Besides it might be worth the $200 to have someone else teach him LOL. I just don't get how they get the kids to sit long enough to watch the video!
    MommyKKay

Answer by MommyKKay at 6:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I saw a segment on it on tv, and they had some children who had done the program as babies at like 5 or so, and they couldn't recognize the words from the same program anymore. The guy doing it seemed really embarrassed, I believe he was the creator of the program. It apparently is not related to high academic achievement later in life, at all.

Even if it does work, I don't want any part of it. I don't think it provides any benefit. I was a very early reader, so I'm not opposed to it at all, for the child who is inclined in that direction. As a mother, you can tell when your child is really ready to begin learning to read by just reading to them, answering their questions and listening to them. When that happens, it flows naturally, and it is true learning. My fave quote is: "Learning can only happen when a child is interested. If he's not interested, it's like throwing marshmallows at his head and calling it eating."
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:15 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• what they are teaching isn't reading it is memorization, and could become a problem when your child enters school and actually begins to learn to read.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I don't see any point in pushing my kids to do things any earlier than they should be. I think we should all just let them be kids and have fun.

So many moms are in competition with each other with their kids.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2009