my daughter is tw0 and a half years aold almost three and im trying to potty train her but she still has no interest in the potty. how can i motivate her?

she is very stubborn like her father so its hard to get her to listen.

playermom123892

Asked by playermom123892 at 5:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I wouldn't make too much of it. Making treats, and promises makes for more work for the parents and doesn't motivate little girls or boys one bit. Unfortunately, in our modern culture, we train our little ones to use diapers for so long that we then have to spend the next couple of years retraining them to use the potty. Interestingly enough, 3rd world countries where there are pantless children running around, do not have poo and pee on their dirt floors.

So try this natural approach: Each time you go to the bathroom simply call your little lady to come with you. Let her stand in the bathroom with you, patiently and sweetly, while you use the toilet. Then simply help her to sit upon the toilet and then make yourself look busy, talking and enjoying some conversation like its nothing at all. Wait just a couple of min. and then take her down either way. Send her back to play. Each time you go take her with you.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:19 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• try to set up a play date with someone her age who is potty trained...usually stubborn people are also competetive...lol
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 6:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• You cant motivate a child to do this. If you do, it will only be short lived. It wont be long before she will lose interest in the rewards and incentives. If shes not interested, then shes not ready and obviously if shes not willing, then shes really not ready. This is within her control only. I spent over a year pt my second daughter. She was 3 before she one day decided she would do it...then it was a done deal. Shes 11 now and still as stubborn as ever.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:08 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i have a two-and a half year old to and ive been trying to potty train her but she will only go on the potty once a month. she tells me when she goes she knows when she goes i just think sometimes its a security thing. I have a friend whos daughter is the same age as mine and she potty trained. so it really depends on the child. maybe you need to get a new potty have your child pick it out with you. let her use it as a chair while she watched tv let her get uesd to it first then gradually move it to the bath room and have her sit on it in there. see if sthat works.
    mamaoneil

Answer by mamaoneil at 7:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Yea that whole playdate. I tried for my son for a solid week, nothing. He is 3 years old and we are at a stand still.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 8:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Now be sure that she is getting just water to drink. Sodas, juices, tea and sugar drinks are difficult for the bladder to hold well. Water will keep her bladder and kidneys clean and clear and also help with bowel training her.

Keep her a favorite cup on the table where she can reach it all day long. I would also buy her pretty panties to wear, but don't make promises or say too much about that either. Going to the bathroom for every living being is a natural thing. Treats and tricks make a child think that normal things are bribes. Eventually, parents run out of fresh tricks to offer the child. :)

I promise this will work for the both of you and make training nicer. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:22 AM on Jun. 6, 2009