Pregnancy & stopping depression meds- how can I find alternative relief?

Has anyone had a similar experience? I was on medication (Prozac & Topomax) for my eating disorder which I had successfully remained abstinent from for 18months. In the past 10 days its reared its ugly head. I am thinking this has to do with being yanked from my meds as soon as I found out I was pregnant.

I'm so depressed and OCD-like with my bulimia. I want a healthy baby... help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• my depression symptoms went away, for the most part, after my first trimester. i was on lexapro at the highest dosage when i found out i was pregnant and stopped taking it. it sucks. mine didnt include an eating disorder though so definitely talk about this with your doctor.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:03 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I stayed on my antidepressants/antianxiety meds throughout the duration of my pregnancy. There are a couple that you can take while pregnant that won't harm the baby.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i had depression because the loss of my son and when i got pregnant again i found other ways to deal with my issue such as talk to people (thats why i am here on this site), keep myself busy and wrote down my feelings...
    RIP.Caleb

Answer by RIP.Caleb at 7:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• The risks of the depression/stress outweigh the risks of taking depression meds while pregnant or breast feeding. My doc said they now have scientific evidence that babies born to mothers who did not treat their depression while they were in utero, now as high school students have significantly more problems than those born to mothers who were treated. I wanted to stop treatment, but I have really high anxiety and I have to be on something.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 7:48 PM on Jun. 5, 2009