What is the best relationship advice to give to a 13 yr old girl???

Its been too long... I don't remember what I needed to hear when I was 13.

xXAdrianXx

Asked by xXAdrianXx at 6:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• None, it's too young to be in a relationship.
    Anonymous

• Tell her that boys don't determine her value. And that it's ok to like boys and it's very normal, but to always be true to herself and don't ever do anything that she feels uncomfortable with. (Maybe think about what you WISHED people told you at that age...............that could help)
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:15 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• If shes had her heart broken, tell her that its NOT HER FAULT..for some reason we always blame ourselves...and tell her that if she feels awful it can only get better, and be glad she found out, or htat it happned before she got old and married LoL that usually gets a good laugh out of my cousins..and more than anything just listen!

If shes just curious about relationships...tell her the truth...they come with the good the bad and the ugly!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:16 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• 13 is way to young to be in a "relationship"....little girls at that age and even older need to understand you can never have too many FRIENDS...there is time for boys later in life.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 6:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Take it slow, don't give your heart too easy. Trust your instincts about guys. Set your standard for how he acts high but don't focus too much on looks. And like the pp said don't do anything you don't feel comfortable doing. You are too special and too valuable to compromise your values and goals. Any guy worth having will recognize that.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• teamquinn- that is AWESOME advice!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 6:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I talk to my almost 13 yo about respect, self-respect, life plans, goals, etc. all the time. I also talk to her about what is and is not appropriate as far as physical contact is concerned. I try to help her understand what dating should be like and what she should learn from the experience. She's not allowed to date at this point, so I'm just trying to lay the groundwork for when she does start dating.

I personally don't think 13 is old enough to be dating, but that's not my call when it's not my kid. If the girl is already allowed to date, then I would talk to her about the same issues that I discuss with my daughter. I would definitely make sure she knows what is appropriate physical contact for a girl her age, and I would also try to help her determine what is an appropriate level of seriousness for dating at this point. I'd want to let her know that there's no reason to be in a hurry.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 6:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• whats her problem?
    watch hes just not that into you with her..its something every girl needs to hear..if my friends had of known that when guys not into you hes not into you,it would have spared them alot of heart ache.my first crush was at 13.my first kiss at 14 with the guy i had a crush on
    pisces_chick89

Answer by pisces_chick89 at 6:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Yeah... she's NOT dating, but she has a 'crush' on a boy who likes her, too. They went to a school dance together, but that's all. What I'm looking for is the right thing to say to her to prepare her for what's to come. Becuz she's at that age now where boys start to play a big role in every day life. Once she's in high school, I know she's gunna get asked out alot cuz she's pretty and fun to be around. Alot of boys like her already, but she turned them all down until this last dude asked her to the dance. N-E way, its not a serious thing. Don't freak out! I just want to PREPARE her. U know, get her ready for the chaos that comes w/ highschool, and boys, and dating.
    xXAdrianXx

Answer by xXAdrianXx at 6:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• GUARD HER HEART!! No boy is worth giving your heart away. Tell her that she is like a beautiful flower and that everytime she gives her heart away, its one more petal short. Then when she meets the person whom is RIGHT for her, all she has is a petaless flower. I know its dramatic, but its definitely how I feel about relationships. BTW, my girls are 14, almost 15 and 11.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2009