My son gets sick every time he is in the indoor pool!

I´m so concerned. Summerbreak starts and my 5 year old will be attending the YMCA Daycamp throughout the summer. One big problem...he gets a bad cough every single time he was in their indoor pool. I do not know what to do, because the doc says that there is really not so much I can do. He seems to react to the chlorine and the very humid air. He is fine with the outdoor pool, but the water park is inside so they will spend lots of time inside. What should I do?

Yonca

Asked by Yonca at 6:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He may be allergic to the chemicals in the indoor pool. They tend to put more chemicals into the indoor pools than the outdoor ones . I give my son zyrtec before he goes swiming any where but home because he gets hives in every other pool but ours. Not sure if that will help you out or not, but that works for us. Good Luck

susan6xblessed

Answer by susan6xblessed at 6:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Thanks so much for your answer. The doc said he can not be alleric to the chlorine itself. But he did mention to us to let him use the inhaler before he goes to the pool and afterwards at home. I will try the zyrtec option. Thanks again :-)!
    Yonca

Answer by Yonca at 7:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2009