• In the Spotlight:

Who Else is Tired of "Beating a Dead Religious Horse"???

It has come to my attention after reading these forum posts that we can all agree that there are some people who are irritated with the way some Christians preach on the forums. We can also agree that their are some Pagans/non-Christians/Atheists who are tired of people slamming their(non) beliefs. Okay, we get it, nobody is going to convert anybody who doesn't want converting. I think we have that covered. Also attacking others for wanting to "save you" isn't helping either.

So why is it that sane adult intelligent women can't just focus on UNDERSTANDING one another's beliefs vs. attacking them? why is it that the questions can't be geared more towards "I see that your religion differs from my religion so what makes you feel connected to your God/Goddess?" IN other words more of an educational debate versus a religious bashing debate.

Your thoughts??? anyone?????

CinderAmethyst

Asked by CinderAmethyst at 6:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I've always heard never talk about Religion or Politics....lol...Seriously, the only way ANY of us are going to learn about each other is by having open, non-critical intelligent conversations about our beliefs, whatever they may be. I'm a Christian, I'll shout it from the rooftops, but I am not going to bash or insult others beliefs because they're different from mine. That would not only be extremely immature, but also ignorant on my part. Let's all follow Forrest Gump's advice....."Mama always says that stupid is as stupid does." Let's show the world that we're not stupid by being open and tolerant of one another. Please....
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• LOL. ...oh. wouldnt that be nice.
    But there is a group about religioius intolerance. ...you can search for it in the group section. it's run by Sabrina.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Right On Sister!! Thank You!!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 6:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My thoughts are that I agree... I do sometimes get caught up but at the same time much prefer open, honest sharing that has a goal of understanding and connection more than deciding a Winner in the Who's Most Right competition that somehow is what many religious discussions devolve into.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I'm all for it... As always all that just drives me crazy! I love the genuine posts or actual questions... But even those end up with rediculus anon answers that are put there just to cause anger and breed hate.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• And there are some Christians that are tired of having our beliefs questioned. Heaven forbid we should answer a question by calling an action a sin, or stating what we believe.

Why is it O.K. for others to bash Christians but the moment a Christian says somthing it's not alright?

If you want discussion or debate then you have to open to everyone, not just pagens or whatever, non-Christian beliefs are out there.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• AMEN!! LOL...wow, sorry couldnt help it...but yes i sooooo thank you and agree....i think the same debates go on everyday and they start with great intentions and turn UGLY....most of the ones that captured my attention are about religion and politics..alot of pres. bashing on here the past few days...although ive learned ALOT about religion and beliefs on here, things poeple ask that i wouldnt have thought to...its pretty interesting..i just feel bad when it turns ugly!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• You don't have to search www.cafemom.com/group/endreligioushate

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Honestly...arguments with religion will never stop. Some people just can't respect others. Personally I am Catholic and in Mass every Sunday and it is the number one thing in my life that shapes who I am. At the same time, some of my very good friends are atheists. We just don't go there because they know they won't change me and I know I won't change them. We agree to disagree. But not everyone can do this. I think it is a maturity thing and some people are just close minded and ignorant and like to argue. But that is just my two cents, what do I know?

cdecker83

Answer by cdecker83 at 6:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I agree teamquinn. covered all bases there in my original post I think LOL if not i meant not just christians but non-christians as well.

It just seems like everyone's throwing religious stones at everyone else. It's like the bullies against the non-bullies here.(bullies on both sides of the religious/non-religious spectrum)

Just wanted to hear what everyone else had to say on the matter.

I've seen many of my Pagan sisters get feisty here too....not a good thing either. And yes, I will admit I may have gotten angry a time or two, but I think it's time we "share the peace pipe" so to speak and find something that works (or is a little less stress-provoked) for everyone.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 6:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2009