Would you lower a price for a rental house if asked ? (for Landlords mainly)

We are looking at a house for rent. It is AWESOME we LOVE it ! It's HUGE and it's in the area we like the only thing is is that the price is alittle high for our budget . The thing is the current leasers have TRASHED the place and so the landlords told us that they would lower the price just from $875 to just $850 which is still alittle high for what we really could comfortably be comfortable with. We went ahead and put in our application for it and she is going to call us on Mon. We really didn't ask today about cutting down the price but we would ask on Mon. when we found out if we got it.
WOuld it be wrong of us to ask if they would go down on the price to about $800 ?
Plus we would have about 3 acres of yard to care for ourselves so that's another reason why we would like to get the price down.
Thanks

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 6:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It does not hurt to ask
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 6:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I agree it never hurts to ask. Be sure to seem firm about your decision. If not, you will seem as a push over. Be sure to bring up all the work you will have to do to the home inside and out.
    mommytoangel407

Answer by mommytoangel407 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Well, the property actually makes it more valuable rather than less. Even though its more to care for, its more desireable at the same time. Did you offer to clean this mess up? Youre never gonna know until you ask and whats the worst thing they could say?...no. Thats it. I say go for it. I almost did this several months ago. We've been renting this home for 2 1/2 yrs. I never intended for it to be that long, but since we were new in town, I wanted to make sure I was happy here before I committed. I ended up liking the freedom that came with renting. Our home is 5 bed, 2 bath on 1 acre lot in a subdivision. It was perfect for us and there was nothing to be done. It was clean and we have landscaping ponds. That made the back yard beautiful. Theres a little boat house and a screened in porch. We pay $1000 per mo, but a few months ago, my dhs hours were cut and I was going to ask him for $900. We ended up buying something. DO IT.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 6:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• THANKS !!!!! I think we will just ask !
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 6:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I would ask, but truth be told that is a good price for a rental with that much land and it also depends on your location too...and what rental's are going for...
    Just make sure that the landlord repairs and cleans the entire place prior to you taking over.
    But if you can always ask them to lower it...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:28 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• It definetly doesn't hurt to ask. She is probably thinking of what she needs to cover expensies of renting, but her not having to fix everything right away for you might me an insentive to agree to cheaper rent if you agree to so some labor for her. That will save her $ too. We did that when we rented, even put up a fence. IT depends on hoe long she has been without tenants too. Sometimes when you know there is something coming in every month with someone that will not destroy the place..that's a huge peace of mind! We have been on both ends-renter and landlord. Good luck, let us know what happens!
    Free2bme442

Answer by Free2bme442 at 1:46 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• We have a rental. Ask the landlord to give you a month free if you clean the place up. We have done that for tenants before.

oliviahank

Answer by oliviahank at 10:47 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Right now you have some pull it's harder to fine renters than say 2 years ago with so many homes sitting empty. I would ask them to lower the rent to 800 can't hurt  just tell them that 800 is easier for you. good luck  ps it all depends on how badly they need to rent the home

sally251

Answer by sally251 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 7, 2009