• In the Spotlight:

Could you explain the difference between pagans and wiccans?! Heard of both dont know what either really is?!?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• All Wiccans are Pagan. But not all Pagans are wiccan.
    Most wiccans practice witchcraft but many Pagans dont.
    ...that should get us started.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 6:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Pagan is a blanket term that can mean any number of non-christian religious paths. But the ones that claim pagan or eclectic pagan as a religion tend to be on a earth based polytheistic path. Wicca is but one of those paths.

Wicca is to Paganism what Catholicism is to Christianity.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Pagan is an umbrella term that covers a LOT of religious beliefs. It's broadest definition is any religion that isn't Judaism, Christianity, or Islam. Wicca is a particular religion under that umbrella, and it has a particular belief structure and practices associated with it.

Wiccans, Celtic Recons, Asatruar, Hellenic Pagans, etc etc are all Pagans even though they have very different theologies and practices. Here is a great article explaining Paganism.

Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• "Wicca is to Paganism what Catholicism is to Christianity"

"All Wiccans are Pagan. But not all Pagans are wiccan."

I like these phrases. They sum things up beautifully. But yeah, as others have said Pagan is a blanket term used to describe belief systems that are not Christianity, Judaism, or Islam. There are many different belief systems that are included under that umbrella. Wicca is one of them.

I'm fairly new to the study of Wicca specifically and of Paganism in general so I can't explain it as well as others probably can.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 6:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• "All Wiccans are Pagan. But not all Pagans are wiccan."
    Yes...
    now can someone refresh my memory, my pregnant brain cannot recall:

Is it "all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares" or the other way around?
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 7:15 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Yes, progenitor... all squares are rectangles... but not all rectangles are squares... Although I'm not sure what that has to do with religion...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:31 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• "Although I'm not sure what that has to do with religion... "

I think because one is a subset of a larger group, like all Fruit Loops are breakfast cereal, but not all breakfast cereal is Fruit Loops. LOL
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I think it is very nice of you guys to answer this question. As a Christian myself, I find the differences of wiccans and Pagans very confusing. I want to understand your beliefs, because I honestly believe that if we religions would take the time to learn about each other without insults and bashing, then we'll ALL be able to have more intelligent conversations. I'm sorry Anonymous, but if you're going to make an unkind statement to someone who thinks differently than you, maybe you should come out from hiding and at least post your screen name. That way, others can respond to your thoughts as well. You don't have to believe what others believe, but you don't have to be rude about it either.
    To all the Wiccans and Pagans, I, for one, who is indeed 100% Christian want to apologize for all the other religions (even Christians) that treat you so unfairly. Jesus would never treat you the way that some of us have. Jesus
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• about LOVE, PATIENCE, KINDNESS, and LONG-SUFFERING. If we're going to claim ourselves to be Christians, then we all need to act more CHRIST LIKE. Even when Jesus was being brutally beaten and spit upon, He never said an unkind remark to those who didn't believe in who He was. We need to stop acting like we're 'better' than God Himself, and start humbling ourselves to be His servants. Just like Jesus --King of Kings and Lord of Lords humbled himself by washing the feet of others. Remember that part of the Bible? I'm truly sorry if I have been offensive to anyone, but it's so frustrating being a Christian and being grouped in the same categories as the ones who continuously bash others. Love others, let the light of Jesus shine through you so others can see Him in you. That's what being a Christian is truly about.
    lighthousemom3

Answer by lighthousemom3 at 8:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• connecting with spirits is wrong, and so it clearly states in the Bible look up divination in the Bible. God tells us these things to protect us it is not wise to ignore the truth.
    Anonymous