How does one get use to driving again after having an accident?

My husband had a bad accident last December and he can't seem to get over it. No one was seriously hurt in the accident. However both vehicles were totaled. He get's nervous everytime he has to drive or when we go out and I drive. How can he put this behind him?

Red54

Asked by Red54 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Health

• You get over it with time. I was in a bad one in 2004, they had to cut me out of the car and some guy literally rammed me (road rage). I was paranoid at first and whenever someone would look close to the line I would watch them like a hawk and sometimes jerk (not safe, I know). I am comfortable now, sometimes I still get scared but rarely.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 6:54 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• get a rehab center to help him practice and see if his reflexes are fast enough to drive he may know something you do not!
    Just let him do public transportation until he wants to drive. It is not a big deal maybe move to a small town so he can get to the store ect., and feel independent! Watch the movie Fireproof also and be patient with him did he have a head injury?
    Anonymous

• He just has to get out there and drive. There is no other way to do it. If it is that bad,he should see a counselor to help him out.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I was involved in a bad car accident as a child and I've never been able to drive.

Anonymous

• A guy hit us from behind. I watch everything ver much so in the spot where it happened.
    MONAinpa

Answer by MONAinpa at 11:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I had a bad wreck in 1997. I was ok driving immedietly afterwards. But as time went on I got more and more paranoid. It took years to set in. I am more paranoid now than ever. Especially as a passenger in someones car. I am a nervous wreck to the point of almost panic when someone else is driving. I am always thinking i'm going to die when i'm in the car.
    Anonymous