How do U deal w/ a 3 yr old picking on a 1 yr old???

My 3 yr old nephew is a total punk! He pushes my 1 yr old son over when he's walking by, he throws stuff at him, and takes away toys. Sometimes, he'll yell at him and try to boss him around. It pisses me off and I'm sick of it. I want to smack that kid, but I won't cross that line w/ my sister. N-E way, my question is what should I do besides TALK TO MY SISTER, cuz I've already done that and I know someone is gunna suggest it =) I just don't want my son to pick up those behaviors and end up doing the same thing to other kids.

xXAdrianXx

Asked by xXAdrianXx at 6:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• If your sister doesn't realize that what her kid is doing is wrong I'm really confused. What does she say?

I would really work on that boy being disiplined by your sister. He cannot keep acting like that as he grows up. Personally, if it continued I wouldn't let my kid near him. I'm sorry to say it and I love my own sister, but my kids emotional and physical health are more important than being on good terms with any adult.
    kira_5105

Answer by kira_5105 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Since the older child needs to know that he cannot harm your younger child, and the younger child cannot defend himself, But at the same time, its not your responsibility to be training your sisters child, I would still go about it this way:

I would be sure and keep both of the children in my sights at all times. Each time the nephew does his little "I'm bigger than you" stunt, I would run over and say in a shocked and loving, but FIRM tone "Oh MY! Little bobby here is much smaller than you. You must always help me take good care of him and never allow him to get hurt or let others hurt him. We love little babies and I know that you do too. Do you think you can help me watch out for him?" Try this first for a few days. The nephew is likely to be shocked at first and may even comply and go along with this new game. If he feels like he's bigger and now responsible, he might go along with it.

cont...
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:09 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• BUT, if you find that he's more hard headed than that and more aggressive, then say this: Using your best firm & in control voice "Oh my! Its not nice to hurt babies and old people. You must always be sweet." Then pick up your child & ignore the nephew. He might throw a tantrum & act like a baby (b/c its attention, even negative attention that he seeks.) But completely ignore the child.

If it persists after a few times of saying this & removing your child from his cousin, I would then say this: "If you continue to hurt my baby by pushing and shoving, I'm afraid I'm going to spank your bottom! Now that's enough mister!" I doubt you will ever have to spank him, but frankly, some children have had so little boundaries placed upon them that they actually feel very insecure. Stating what you are going to do in response to his aggressive actions will show him an adult is in control and that he doesn't have to be.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:15 AM on Jun. 6, 2009