Is there an average age that babies start picking up food on their own?

My daughter is five months old. I know she's way too young to be expected to pick anything up and eat it, since she doesn't have the pincer grasp yet. But I was just wondering at what age kids started looking down and becoming interested in food placed in front of them.

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 6:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was about 6 months when he would pick it up. He didn't "pinch" it until recently, he would grab it with his hand, enclose it in his fist, then take his whole hand and put it to his mouth, open his hand and drop half of it onto him lol. He started pinching food about 9 months.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 6:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I'm not really sure, but my 5 month old will try to grab the spoon from me, and when I let her take it she tries to stick it in her mouth. Not sure if she's trying to feed herself or chew on the spoon (she's teething) but it usually winds up all over her face. :-)
    But she'll look at her food bowl if I set it in front of her. Sometimes she'll try to stick her hand in the baby food. But no pincer grasp. I dunno when that starts.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 7:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• All of my boys were about 6 months old. Only one of them every truly had a pincer grasp before they were 3 years old (thank goodness for OT) so I wouldn't even consider that part of the process.

Show her how, guide her hand from tray to mouth if you want her to start learning. They don't automatically do it, they still have to be shown and taught at some point.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Usually somewhere between 6-8 months. This is a great way to know your baby is ready for solid foods. Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Like one PP said they may not get the pincher grasp that young, but they will still grab food and feed themselves with a fist grab.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 8:18 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• my son would grab with his fist at 6 months, he had the pincer grasp at about 8 months.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 9:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2009