What do you think of vigilante justice?

Philadelphia's police commissioner said Thursday he will not pursue criminal charges against a group of angry neighbors who beat a man sought for questioning in the rape of an 11-year-old girl

babysyoungmom1

Asked by babysyoungmom1 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it will lead to chaos and eventually anarchy.
    I understand WHY they did it but we need to follow laws.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 7:08 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I don't support taking a law in your hands.
    Anonymous

• I think it's wrong and I think it's wrong that they aren't being charged. Just saying to ev1 that it is an OK thing to do no matter what the crime.

Anonymous

• I'm on the fence with this one...on one hand it's like, good for those people. One less child rapist/molester on the street to worry about. On the other hand, what they did is against the law and the laws do apply to everyone and when you break the law and get caught, you get punished.
    michelle121003

Answer by michelle121003 at 7:23 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• As much as I would love to beat the crap out of any child molester, letting these people who beat him up go scott free just shows that people can get away with a crime if enough folks agree with it.

Which is bull.

A crime is a crime is a crime.

Same thing as that Tiller situation.

Lots of people think it was justice, and he was a murderer. But the fact that many people believed that doesn't change the fact that what the guy did by shooting and killing him was a crime.

Even if Tiller had broken the law, and even though this a**hole broke the law, a crime for a crime does NOT work.

That leads to anarchy.

While I may not be a huge fan of big big government, anarchy would be even more of a disaster.

I've been raped. As much as I'd love to find and kill the guy, I'd in a way be disgusted if I wasn't charged with murder (after all, charges don't mean conviction. :P) if I really DID
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 7:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• It just doesn't work like that.

If it does, or should, work like that.. Why do we have a system of laws in place?
    _Jynxx_

Answer by _Jynxx_ at 7:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Well if people would just kill more child molesters before they went to prison then maybe alot of lives would be saved when they get released.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I think the fact that a community punished a child molester because they caught up to him first is great.

People being more accountable and hold other people accountable isn't just a job for the authorities.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 8:29 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I guess i'm on the fence on this one.Pros and cons I have to say though the sob deserved it.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Vigilante justice makes everyone as guilty. Law and law enforcement are authorized, not your neighbor.
    Anonymous