how do i get my 1 year old daughter off a pacifier?

my daughter just turn 1 in april and i need to get her off the pacifer she will cry and cry whens she get sleepy for it. and she only wants it if she sees it during the day but its really hard for her at night time she wont go to sleep unless she has it. i also what to know whats the best age to get her off? am im moving to fast?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i just cut the tips off of my sons on the 3rd he is 18 months i tried just letting him have it at night but it just made him that much more attached to it so it had to go!! he keeps telling me his nuki is broke with a sad little face but he is no longer screaming for it! the first night was very hard but it kept getting better after that now at night he just wants his new stuffed puppy he got for now being a big boy!!
    bubbbaNbabygirl

Answer by bubbbaNbabygirl at 8:55 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my grandmother was telling me that she got all of her kids off by soaking it in vinegar, after awhile of tasting it, they just didnt want it anymore. My son turns 1 tomarrow, and im thinking of doing it, it sounds a little mean, but it worked for all 5 of my aunt & uncles! GL
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• since it's only a night time thing, it isn't as hard as if it was a 24/7 thing. I would suggest slowly limit the number of them that you have available. As they wear out, you throw them out or snip the tip off. You can also try and wean her off by offering something else that could be used by her as a security thing(like the paci is for her right now), like a teddy bear.

We couldn't get my oldest to give up the paci until after he turned 2. His little brother left his behind somewhere between 1 & 2.

A glint of humor: at least she doesn't suck her thumb. You can take that away from her.

Good Luck.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• your just gonna have to take itaway...as teeth come in it may cause problems
    some kids start to chew on cloths after a paci and thats normal

but if you really want her off soon take your days that you dont work and really go for it at night....

she'll cry herself to sleep worse case scenario
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• my dd was 17 mo when i took hers away... she CRIED FOREVER the first 2 nights, by the 3rd she forgot about it!!! I really regret letting her keep it for that long. I think I should have taken it from her at a year or a little before. IN MY OPINION i would say take it away soon becuase they do get teeth problems and such from them. I have a friend whose dd is 2 and her teeth are lopsided... the side she keeps the pacy on is shorter DRASTICALLY then the other side. You aren't moving too soon... imo!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I cut mine off cold turkey....on her first birthday both the bottles and pacifiers got thrown in the trash....its just my opinion but thats the only way to really do it...my husband said he wanted her off the pacifiers at 6 months so we tried to wein her and just give it to her at bedtime and naptime....needless to say that didnt really work.....if you throw them away then you have nothing to give her...and yes it will suck for a few days but she will get over it
    mylady13135

Answer by mylady13135 at 9:59 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I totally feel for you, I'm trying to wean both of my 17 month old twins off it too.Mine only get it now at nap time and bed time. I make them put it in a cup on their dresser the minute they get up. In a few more weeks I'm going to let them see me throw the cup w/ binksa in the trash and that's going to be the end of it.....I hope..Good luck Momma :)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 11:03 AM on Jun. 6, 2009