Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support question.

I just got a letter in the mail from Department of Human Services telling me that my child support case is going to expire in 60 days. Now, I guess that would be one thing, except for the fact that I'm married to my daughters father and have been since before she was born. (I laughed.)

Now, I guess my question is. Should I just ignore the letter and let them close the case, or should I call and figure out what's going on? I don't want my husband getting in trouble for their mistake, but would he even get in trouble if I ignore it?

Anyone ever gotten a letter like this before? I don't even know why this is even going on.

Answer Question

Asked by lizzeh at 7:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 9 (282 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I would certainly make a call. You don't know if this could be a case of identity fraud, and you definitely don't want yourself or your husband to get arrested for that mess.

    Answer by misses_nick at 7:16 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • I would just call. Why would there even be a case if you are married?

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • Yeah I would call to see what is going on.

    Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • You must've been on assistance at one point or filed for child support at one point. What happened with me is that I filed for child support (not through support enforcement), and I received a letter too. I called them and asked them and asked why since my support wasn't going through them. They said they receive every order that goes through the state, they open a collection only case, and if they do not receive any payment within however many days then the case closes automatically

    Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • Yeah, I am going to call on Monday because he's military.

    I never even filed a case for child support because we're married. Though, we were on medicaid when she was born so I guess maybe they did it. This is confusing and stupid. This is the first letter I've ever received and my daughter is 3.

    Answer by lizzeh at 7:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

  • Medicaid probably did that, I would call Child Support just to make sure nothing will bite you later. It may just be telling you that you have 60 days to get support without having to go to court.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.