I need a non-fish tasting fish....

I really want to start eating fish for the health benefits, and I would like my son to eat it too, but I cant stand the idea of eating it. I won't even eat tuna. I hate the smell, the look, everything! Is there any fish that doesnt taste like fish, but more like chicken?? How do you prepare it...any suggestions would be helpful!

AmandaL21

Asked by AmandaL21 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Talapia isn't very fishy tasting I don't think.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 7:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Tilapia is a very mild fish. I never liked fish and my SOn made it for me with butter and herbs on it and it tasted fantastic.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Fresh fish, especially wild caught, does not smell or taste fishy.
    Here is link to a guide, from the Natural Resources Defense Council, on fish safety: http://www.nrdc.org/health/effects/mercury/walletcard.pdf

Answer by rkoloms at 8:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Tilapia is gross. They're like scavenger fish that eat anything... like sea gulls. I think that's why they're so cheap. Who knows what the farmed ones are fed...

When you say tuna, do you mean canned tuna? Real, fresh tuna steaks or filets are a firmer and less fishy tasting fish. I like it grilled or broiled.

Another good firm and un-fishy fish is swordfish. Same- grilled or broiled with some olive oil, dill and lemon. mmm. Or a nice buerre blanc.
    iluvmommyhood58

Answer by iluvmommyhood58 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I would vote for Tilapia. This is one of my favorite fish to eat that doesn't have the fishy taste like salmon sometimes does.
    mommytobrooke

Answer by mommytobrooke at 10:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I eat wild tuna or salmon. can't bring myself to eat anything else.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 3:22 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• the tiapia you buy in the stores is usually farm raised and so is salmon and catfish. the older (after being dead) the fishy the fish. try Mahi mahi. it is nice and meaty. also if you just keep trying your tast buds will become accomstome to eating it and you will get to like it. I used to hate slamon but now I love it!!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:54 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I also don't like fishy fish. I tend to stick with white meat fish, they are very pleasantly even sweet tasting. I like cod, flounder, and orange roughy. Tilapia is ok too, but I avoid the parts that have a little brown on them (around the spine), those parts can be fishy tasting.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I'm not a fish person either, I hate it. I'm not a fan of tilapia or flounder because they are so mushy, sure if it was drowned in butter I'd eat it, but then there goes the health benefits. Tuna steaks (nothing like canned tuna) or swordfish steaks are really really good, they don't taste fishy at all. I like them grilled with spicy spices on it, either Emmerill's Essence or some cajun dust or something. They are similiar in taste and consistency to regular steaks. I buy the tuna steaks frozen (cheaper).... grab one a small one, sprinkle with spices, grill it up (sometimes we use the foreman grill too) and just try it, trust me. FWIW, my 2YO son LOVES tuna steaks =) Another one I like to eat is cod...I usually bake that with panko breadcrumbs and parm cheese on top. VERY mild whitefish....milder than tilapia, but not mushy.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 10:51 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Try Orange Roughy. You can find it in bulk in your local freezer. I use to buy it a lot until our daughter got out of eating fish. This is the only fish I will eat because it is boneless and will cook better then any other fish. If all else fails? Fish oil is the next best thing in pill form. Good luck.
    jns131

Answer by jns131 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 6, 2009