I'm only asking to humor my mother.

I'm 23 weeks pregnant and I have a wii fitness balence board that I play with my kids. There is this virtual hula hoop game I play where you sway your hips like you are really doing a hula hoop. Anyway my mother thinks I should not play becasue she thinks the circular motion will cause the cord to wrap around my babies neck . So what do you all think.

momof4kidos

Asked by momof4kidos at 7:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't think that that is possible. I would continue to play.
    coala

Answer by coala at 7:56 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• haha...dont think so
    your baby doesnt spin incircles from you moving your hips...lol
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I think your baby will love the motion and the chemicals released in your joints from it would be beneficial to your physical and mental well being. Your mom is just worried like you would be about your own little girl. Worst case scenario, there is an "Ask A Nurse" group some where on here that might give you some more documented advice?

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 7:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• That baby is and will continue to be flipping all around inside you, no matter what motions you do on the outside. Hula hoop away, with no fear. In fact, the circular motion of the hips may well help to get the baby into an optimal position for birth - that is a far more likely side-effect.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 8:00 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Its good exercise, my grandmother use to tell me not to reach over my head b/c it would cause the cord to get around the neck.

I think those are all old wives tales....or come from that.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:08 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Tell your mama to relax you and the baby will be fine :)
    CharlotteluvsJ

Answer by CharlotteluvsJ at 8:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• LMAO! I actually played that for the first 2 months of my pregnancy until I moved out of my mom's house. I left my Wii Fit because I didn't have a Wii, she had bought it for me for Christmas when I was still planning on living there! Anyway, I'm 28 weeks pregnant and I'm pretty sure my little man is fine! That game is a blast! Enjoy it and from what I've heard, exercise helps with labor and pushing. Just what I've heard.
    RavnJay

Answer by RavnJay at 8:36 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Yeah, pelvic circles is a normal exercise in my prenatal yoga video. It's not dangerous. The cord being around the baby's neck is not something the mom has control over.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I would ask the DR at your next apt however I think your mom is being a little over protective:):):):) Take care of you and the baby. Talk to you later!!!!
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 10:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• u can do that as you get closer to your due date, it will help the baby drop into position.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 6, 2009