I have decided to go back to school. Someone suggested studying this semster on my own then taking the test to test out of basic classes.

If you were rusty on math, science, and english would you self teach yourself to get back to college level or just pay the $1-3K for the extra classes and books to get up to where the test has you.

Also someone recommend retaking the ACT and SAT until I get higher scores. Can you take them in your 20-30's? I thought it was a one time deal when you were in high school but they said you can retake them as many times as you want to get a better grade.

Any suggestions on when to start back and whether or not to try and test out on classes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am 23 and just went back to school. I was no good at math or science in high school. I go to school onlne at Peru State College, great school. I have done fine and didn't have to take any tests. If I had a problem in my math class I would start from the bottom, just so I feel comfortable. Plus, learning everything is a great experience. Best of Luck!!
    mommy2crums

Answer by mommy2crums at 8:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I wouldn't retake the SAT and ACT. If the school will accept you with the scores as they are, what good would retaking it be? In is in (as in admittance) I would study and test out though if I were just rusty. Also, see if you can take them Pass/Fail instead of a grade. That might help. Once in get to know some teachers and see if you can sit in and audit a class. Some don't mind. Some stick to the rules - no pay, no stay (in class). I was lucky with that. For classes you are going to take that might be difficult for you, take them in summer or weekend classes and get them over with. They seem to cut down on crap they feed you but get the important stuff (test material) covered. I like less time driving to and from classes. Long semesters drive me nuts.

Answer by admckenzie at 8:06 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• What take is the CPT which is the college placement test. It evaluates where you need to be in regards to prep classes. There are books that you can get to study from before you take the test. I actually tested into a prep 2 class for English and barely tested into a prep 2 class for math. So I took the prep 1 course to refresh my memory. I paid for these classes and I actually learned stuff that I either didn't remember or was never taught. I think that prep classes are worth the money b/c they give you an advantage that you wouldn't have had otherwise. By the way I went back to school at 25 and I am now 28 and taking it slow but I am 4 courses out of my AA and an acceptance letter away from nursing school. It doesn't matter how old you are you can do it if you put your mind to it.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• First, stay away from for-profit schools; they exist to make money for the shareholders (by law), not to educate.
    Start at a community college; make an appointment to meet with someone in the admissions office. Most community colleges have online classes; if you choose to move on to a state university, your credits will transfer without issue.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Most colleges and universities will allow you to enroll as a student without ACT or SAT scores. Those scores are for the more advanced, or Ivy League type colleges.
    Most colleges and universities will have you take math and english skills tests to determine whether you need to take their courses for them or not.
    If they decide you need to take particular math or english courses you can always take them at your community college for far less than what the college would charge you.
    Best wishes on your education endeavors!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 1:44 PM on Jun. 6, 2009