WHAT'S YOUR OPINION??

homeschooled kids vs. public school kids??

personally i think homeschooled kids are wierd.. i have 3 cousins and they're all homeschooled and you can def tell they have been sheltered!!! i think all kids should go to public schools to help the socialize with others and get ready to interact with the real world

go ahead and bash on my opinion.... its ok... but seriously, think about it then say what you think

rainylittlebug

Asked by rainylittlebug at 7:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think you should look at what is going on in public schools before you judge?
    Anonymous

• I used to think they way you do, and for the same reasons!! I had 3 cousins who were all home schooled and they were very socially awkward!
    But I really thinks it depends on the parents doing the home schooling (not to bash your aunt or uncle lol). There's actually a great journal post about this today, you should read it. Not all home schooled kids are "sheltered" and many are actually more comfortable with talking to others and are very bright and extroverted kids!
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 8:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• calling kids wierd let me guess your child calls kids wierd too? The apple does not fall far from the tree! Mean people stink!
    Anonymous

• what's the journal post called i'd love to read it... it's not that i 'hate' homeschooled kids i just think they are wierd... in certain ways.. and thats from my own experience of being around them and related....
    rainylittlebug

Answer by rainylittlebug at 8:03 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My kids go to public schools. At first I liked it alot, but this last year we had trouble with one of my sons teachers and my other son with bullies and the school not handeling it appropriately. So I can definitely see why some parents want to homeschool. At the same time though, if I ever were to make the decision to homeschool, I would definitely make sure to keep them around other kids, by way of sports, play groups, whatever. I have seen kids like what you described and I know I dont want that for my kids either. But I dont believe you have to be public schooled to get that extra peer exposure, just have to get them out there and do it kwim?
    Anonymous

• Did you know public schools are full of disrespectful uneducated wild unruly children?
    Anonymous

• The swearing in public schools is not controlled at all even directed teachers and the teachers have their hands tied.
    Anonymous

• yes anon 8:05 i do know that.... did you know the 'real world' is also full of disrespectful uneducated wild, and unruly adults??? i was bullied, made fun of, had trouble with my grades, made friends, lost friends, and learned how to deal with it.... guess what.... same stuff goes on in life... i think kids need to be prepared for the not so nice side of the reality... not saying that all homeschooled kids arent ready.. its like an earlier reply said its depending on how the parents do the schooling....
    rainylittlebug

Answer by rainylittlebug at 8:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My kids were home-schooled, but we also lived in a neighbourhood with kids, so they were socialized daily. I also lived in a really safe community where I didn't feel the need to shelter them. They played in as many town sports that they could, did the boy scouts/brownies. Joined the YMCA/YWCA. Played in a band, etc. My son is 29, left college 18 months early with a 4.3GPA. He's a Senior Social Web Designer (KidNation, Survivor China, Emmy's '07, etc....his designs). My daughter 26 is a Lead Designer and designs special operations gear for the military.
    Weird? Maybe........depends on your definition.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:15 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• eirelass- to me your kids sound just wonderful! and im not being a smart ass or anything... i think the socialization in their daily life is VERY important.... like i said before.. this opinion is just from my personal experience with the people i know who were homeschooled...
    rainylittlebug

Answer by rainylittlebug at 8:18 PM on Jun. 5, 2009