Does anyone here know anything about teeth grinding or clinching?

I wake up sometimes and "think" ( I am groggy) that I am pressing my teeth together. I have thought that for some time now, but here lately my jaw and under my jaw, like the soft part under your mouth.....is sore and painful.

It IS NOT sinus pain, I have had that before and I can tell this is different.

What can I do, I know I need to tell my Dentist, but till then....is there anything?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 8:12 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Health

• Oh, I ment to say that I am not sure if I am clinching I just feel that way when I first wake up, I dont know if I am dreaming it or if its real.....lol ;) So I dont know that I am for sure.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i know this sounds weird but go to a sprts store and get a mouth guard and sleep with that
    i had the same problem and instead of buying a special one from my dentise for 350 dollars she suggested that that works just as well and is a fraction of the price
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 8:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I did have a bite guard made by my dentist, and it helps, but if the one that Dom suggests will do the same thing for a lot less then I'd try that. My dentist did some adjusting of the way my teeth came together- filed some down a bit so they didn't connect so much, and it helped a bit. I use my guard about twice a week now or if I feel stressed and notice jaw pain. Besides clenching I used to grind- I'd dream that I was chewing rubber. It actually loosened some of my teeth, that settled down when I started using the guard.

Answer by Bmat at 8:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Get a mouth guard from a sports store. Follow the directions on the package and wear it to bed. More than likely, that is what the dentist will tell you to do anyway.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Practice putting your tongue between your teeth when going to sleep and when realizing the grinding feelings. It helps some. The mouth piece from the dentist is expensive, but if you continue it is hell. I suffer from this and I have headaches, tooth pain, etc. good luck.
    driftwood

Answer by driftwood at 3:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2009