sight words

how old should my child be when sight words are taught?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• the sooner the better! i think around 1 1/2 to 2 is pretty good for introducing letters (my youngest knew and recognized all the letters by 2) and after that you can start teaching sight words :) my little brother could read before he turned 4 :)
    WesAndNicksMom

Answer by WesAndNicksMom at 12:17 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Really depends on how long you have been working with your kids. I homeshool my ds, he's 4 and is doing sight words now. At my dd's school they didn't teach sight words until Kindergarten so age 5.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 8:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• asap......my baby can read really works..ever heard of those dvds?
    guitarmom101

Answer by guitarmom101 at 8:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Kindergarten is soon enough.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• There's no right or wrong age. Whenever your child is ready --- if they are ready. Depending on what type of 'learner' your child is, you may want to skip the "sight word method" altogether.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I agree with Laura1229, they will learn it when they are ready. If you push them you could not only cause yourself unnecessary frustration because they aren't ready for it, but you could also give them a negative outlook on learning to read and write in general. I think that most kids learn a lot of sight words in kindergarten, but phonics are the way to go in my opinion.
    Anonymous

• we started labeling everything in the house when our daughter turned 3; she started reading about a year later.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:08 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• They learn at their own pace my son is 4 and reads sight words and i never taught him! he just picked up on words on his own...So now we go through books and he wants to know what the words are, that he doesn't know
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:16 PM on Jun. 5, 2009