Anyone else DISAGREE with the saying, "Once a cheater, always a cheater?"

I do! Back in my party days, I'd cheat on boyfriends, but I've changed and am so in love with my husband I know for a fact I'd never cheat on him! Becoming a mother changed me. So, I hate when people use that phrase!

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 9:07 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• I hate it too. I was with a guy in the navy for just over a year and we got in a huge fight and I cheated on him one time but it was horrible on both of us. I honestly think that it did more damage to me than it did to him, because I am still not over it.
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on the person. My ex, it applies 100% to him. But I have a friend whose hubby cheated on her once, and never again. It really depends on the person and the reason they cheated, and if they truly feel remorse and so many other things.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:12 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Cheating isn't a disorder that you can't get rid of. It's a choice of behaviors so one does not have to repeat cheating unless one chooses to. So I don't think once a cheater , always a cheater.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I also don't agree with this statement. People act like situations are so black and white and they are absolutely not. There are always gray areas and different circumstances, and yes, it's absolutely possible for people to change. Like admackenzie said, it's not a disorder or a disease that is untreatable...it's a behavior....you can choose to do it or not do it.
    Anonymous

• Well, for me once is too much. If you cheated, you are a cheater that's a fact. It doesn't matter if you will do it again or not, is just that you will always be remembered as a cheater. Let's say that a guy goes to prison he gets out he is a convicted felon, he can live a non criminal life after that but the fact remains that he was in jail and it will always be a fact.

You may think you will never cheat again but the truth is whoever knew that you cheated will always remember that before they remember your name. That is just my opinion, I don't know any of you but as much as you dislike the phrase, I agree 100% with it. Please take no ofense, none intended here just my opinion.
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Yep.... I cheated on DH early in our dating days... I regreted it so bad! *its been 9yrs & I havent cheated again!*

I also cheated on guys that i dated .... but dh its totally diffrent!
    Anonymous

• I disagree with the statement too. My first actualy relationship was when I was 14, and I didnt know anything, and I was being an idiot and I cheated. We stayed together for a year and a half, and it fell apart after that. I havent cheated on anyone and wont ever again
    MammaBella

Answer by MammaBella at 9:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I definately disagree with the statement. People can and do change. Some people just have to grow up. I think it depends on the person, the situation, age, etc. Sometimes it is a one time thing and can be overcome, sometimes the person cheating is just an idiot and will keep doing it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• No...people can change and that's what is so wonderful about us. (Hopefully for the better always)
    SoKamele

Answer by SoKamele at 10:04 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• i believe in second chances and yes it did happen to me before we were married. but is he did it a second time i would kick his @$$ to the curb.

fool me once shame on you!
    fool me twice shame on me!
    Anonymous