Do you MAKE your children eat ALL their food off thier plate?

My mom used to do that to me and my sister before we got up from the table especially if we were bugging her about being hungry. I don't actually have any trouble with my 8yr old eating her food.

diamondmamma

Asked by diamondmamma at 9:09 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• no, if she's finished eating i don't make her eat anything else
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:11 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I don't. I don't want to encourage my baby to eat when she's not hungry. If it seems like she's done eating, I clean her up and take her out of the highchair.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:12 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My mother always did that with me, and I am an overeater. When my child says she is done, she says, "All Done," and she makes the sign for it. I don't make her eat everything. I want her to understand the concept of hungry and full. She doesn't really get snacks, so I try to be attentive and listen to what she is telling me.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 9:13 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• NO!!!!
    My DH was made to eat food he disliked as a kid! UGH you should see him now! He doesnt even want to try healthy food... No matter how good some veggie Ive made is -- he will not try...

I feel kinda bad for him -- I smashed up peas & other veggies & hide them in sloppy joes... 1/2 way through our dinner I told him ( I was hidding it for our kid--- NOT HIM!) It ruined his meal & he couldnt eat anymore... I honestly think him being made to eat growing up had a long term effect on him!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• No, I think that makes kids poorer eaters in the long run. DS is not quite old enough yet but I will have a rule that he has to take at least one bite of everything on his plate (especially if he hasn't ever tried it before) and then he is done when he is done. I dont try to feed him anything I know he doesn't like, which for now means Squash, Sweet Potatoes and Green Beans are the only veggies the kid eats. lol.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 9:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• No. My parents never did that to me but my hubby's parents did, and he still remembers being forced to eat until he wanted to explode. If they only eat a few bites, that's fine, but there will be no snacks for the rest of the evening and if they complain about being hungry I will gladly warm up the leftovers. I am fairly lucky with this though, my girls usually eat all or most of their meals. I figure they have days when they feel hungrier than others, just like we adults do.
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 9:19 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• nope! when she's done, I know i'm not getting another bite in that mouth and that is fine! as long as her tummy is full.. i know she's getting good food and that's all that really matters to me!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• No. I think it creates a bad relationship to food if you do that. If she is not hungry, she doesn't have to eat. Now if she's being picky then she can either eat what I served her or not eat. But overall, I don't force her to eat. I encourage, but I'm not going to bare down on her and such. As long as she eats at least a quarter of it I'm happy. She'll do that and then have a cup of milk. And sometimes she'll eat the veggies and not much else, why would I complain? LOL
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 9:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• No my parents never did it and I don't do it either. My hubby's parents did it and he said he would never do it to his kids. My daughter is a very picky eater though.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I do try to encourgage them to finish their meals,like I won't give them dessert and a 2nd glass of juice,if you didn't finish your meal, I'm also did this with my children,my grands love most everything and have good appetites.I have found out,if you make food fun and colorful,and let the kids help you cook,they will eat their food.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 10:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2009