running out of answers- how did the baby get in my belly?

My six year old wants detailed info and I feel so bad.. I don't want to make up some sort of stork story..I want it to be true but on her level... I explained that daddy put a seed in my belly... and she asked how he put it there... that is when I drew a blank... help... (uh..through my...belly button...lol.?)

btw- she is very smart, mature, and just questions everything... I think my baby is smarter than me.

LuckyClown

Asked by LuckyClown at 9:15 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• She won't really believe you but try the truth. Let her know that adults find it embarassing to talk about but be sure she knows you will ALWAYS be honest and answer her questions. Honesty now will pay dividends in the years to come.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:06 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Explain that you have to get VERY close to plant the seed, that men & women are built opposite & fit together like a puzzle piece... and that's how the seed got there.

If she pushes further --- just be honest with her & used vocabulary she can understand. That's what I'd do (well, it's what I have done already with my kids)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 9:17 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• There are wonderful resources and books you can purchase on Amazon that are age appropriate.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 9:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• just say that you love each other and when mommies and daddies love eachother a seed of love goes to the belly and a baby is made....thats not the real truth but its kind of true
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 9:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• problem is- she talks about wanting a baby in her belly... I kind of worry about her doing a little show and tell or something... I just don't want my innocent little baby to have that info yet...she is a bit of a scientist herself and does many expiriments... (when she gets really quiet I know there's a mess somewhere...because she wanted to see what would happen)
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 9:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• tell her the truth! My 5 YO has asked me that same question and I told him the truth....Truth is best!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:23 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• she loves to read... any book titles would be extremely helpful... I don't want her to know which pieces fit together like a puzzle, but other than that... I want an answer that will satisfy her for now...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 9:23 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Mommies and Daddies each have special parts. When Mommies and Daddies want to make a baby, they put the special parts together and the baby is made and put in the Mommy's tummy. If she needs/wants more than that, then it seems it would be time for a very basic talk about the biology of having a baby.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:24 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I like that one tropicalmama... it is a truth that i can build upon later, that also explains that she doesn't have those parts and won't until she's older...
    LuckyClown

Answer by LuckyClown at 9:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I like Dom123123 answer...because she made it about love. When we explain that to our kids it should be more about love than about "sex". My son is 6 and the questions are becoming very detailed as well. The book we got him is called "I'm going to be a big brother". It goes into detail about being pregnant and having the baby...I think its best that we r as honest as possible with them. Good luck!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 9:46 PM on Jun. 5, 2009