NERVOUS!!!!!!

Ok first time mom, and my son turns 1 on Monday...I am switching over to whole milk tomorrow. Are their any specific signs I should look for that he is not tolerating it well? Also with him being off of formula how do I ensure he is getting the proper nutrition. I guess my concern is that how do I know he is eating enough to make up for what he is missing in not getting the formula anymore?

Scoobersmom

Asked by Scoobersmom at 9:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• nurture-baby.com
    Dom123123

Answer by Dom123123 at 9:25 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• There may be a little constipation at first but if it dosen't go away talk to the doc....most of the time they just say to give him/her 2 percent instead.... Good luck!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 9:26 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• when my daughter turned 1 we started giving her pediasure's for the extra nutrition. She loved them, still does. And most milk allergies (I think) are tummy related so look for gas, diarreha, things like that.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• all these moms are right. u need to look for bad signs and also educate urself with books and the web. always asking moms ur questions i think is a good idea too. ur on the right track! ultimately use ur mommy instincts. we all have them!
    ambiemomof2

Answer by ambiemomof2 at 9:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• As long as your baby is pooping normally, you can rest assured that he is getting enough food. I felt the same way weaning my breastfed 1 yr old to whole milk...it'll be fine, just keep an eye on his bowel movements and see that he is drinking lots of water too.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 9:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• well as for tolerating it , i would say may b trowing it up or diarrhea , they usually do have constipation the first times . as for getting the right nutrition give him breakfast lunch and dinner w/ 2 snacks. :)
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 9:42 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Our ped. taught her patients parents how to feed their little ones with the most awesome and complete diet. All of our children that followed this method have had extremely healthy children, so much so that when they saw other pedi. they commented on the childs health. This is what we serve our 1 year olds:

Breakfast: 2 T. fruit, 3 T. protein, 3 T. starch (baby rice or potato), 1 banana. Mix all together, heat well and serve warm. Serve water to drink in a cup.

Lunch & dinner: 2 T. fruit, 3 T. protein, 3 T. starch, 3 T. veg., 1 banana and water to drink. Mix all together, heat well and serve warm.

This meal plan is complete with each and every nutrient for fast growing bodies and smart brains. :)

Remember that solid table foods should not be offered till baby has a full set of back molars in order to be able to chew and grind foods properly for good nutrition.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Humans are the only living beings that continue to take milk after the normal lactation period. Of course moms who want to continue to give bottles or breastfeed will dicker this medically known fact. Dairy actually inhibits the body's absorption of iron, so be sure that baby isn't getting too much dairy.

Many parents forget the necessity of protein in the diet and often just serve a few bites of veg. and or fruit for the 1st to 2nd year. Often they state that baby doesn't like the pureed meats, but we have never had one minute of problem with feeding our babies this way. They love their meals, will actually ask for them and will scarf the whole bowl down quickly, making it easy to feed baby rather than it being difficult and a chore.

Our parents never have to worry about their childrens nutrition. I like good stable guidelines. It helps me feel empowered. :) Hope this helps you as well.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:58 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• You should wait to switch him to whole milk untill after his 12 month check up. If he has had any medical issues in the past with constipation, diahrea, any thing else, the Dr would know and be able to give you a good guid line to follow. Even if he hasnt had any issues the Dr has brochures on step by step weaning off formula and introducing more table food. As long as you plan on introducing the whole milk gradually then you should not have much problems. The worst would be just to ditch the formula and give straight milk right away, then you probably will have problems.
    Love2BMommy77

Answer by Love2BMommy77 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 6, 2009