How can I help my son with his tummy ache?

My son is almost one month old and he poops once a day (soft poop) but he starts pushing like he's constipated but he's not. When he pushes its like his stomach hurts. He cries a little bit but not much when he strains. I heard I should give him Gripe Water but cant find any at all. Any advice for a first time mom who's worried?

sexygoyita

Asked by sexygoyita at 9:38 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes if you massage their little legs from the hips down it helps to ease their little tummies. Sounds weird, but true. You can also try some Mylicon drops, those work well.
    Anonymous

• Try warming a towel in the dryer and laying on his tummy.Another thing you can do,if it's gas,is cross his ancles together and gently push his legs towards his head. , (into his tummy) I know this sounds weird but it relieves the pressure and it always worked for my kids.
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 9:59 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Oops, I spelt ankles wrong. LOL but it does sound like gas.
    flowerchid72

Answer by flowerchid72 at 10:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I would lay my daughter on her back and pedal her legs like she was on a bike and that seemed to help. When she could hold her head up pretty well, I would hold her on my hip but facing out instead of towards me and that worked wonders! I wouldn't be worried about him though, he's only been pooping for a month! Give him some time to get used to it :-)

(And you are lucky! My daughter poops four-five times a day!)
    AutumnsMom31309

Answer by AutumnsMom31309 at 10:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• He may have some painful gas. I would keep him on his tummy as much as possible. This allows him to push him stomach into the floor so that he can expel the air naturally and without alot of excess activity and jostling.

One way to have a colic-free baby, and yes, it is possible, (I had 2 birth children that did not suffer with colic and a dozen foster newborns that also did not have colic), is to allow their tummy to completely empty before adding more milk (either breast or formula).

The digestive system is quite simple to understand. When milk is digested in the stomach, it takes breast milk 3-4 hrs to completely empty, 4 hrs for formula (b/c of the larger proteins.) When the stomach is working & adding acid to the meal, it then prepares it to enter the colon. But when new milk is added to the old, the stomach cannot distinguish the two and pushes all of it into the colon. This can cause distress.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:39 PM on Jun. 5, 2009