Is it normal for my DS to shake his head from side to side?

My DS likes to shake his head sometimes from side to side. He usually does it either when he's sleepy, or sometimes just for fun, smiling and all. Anyone have that experience? I just don't know why he does it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm sure its normal. He probably just thinks it fun or its just a habit when he gets tired. If you are concerned about it though you can always get a doctor's opinion. It wouldn't hurt. But I wouldn't be worried. My little sister used to do this thing we called "spazzing" when she would get excited. She would open he mouth and wiggle her fingers and open and close her hands. We thought for sure something was wrong but the doc told us its just her way of expressing her excitement! Kids do strange things haha.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:53 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My youngest daughter would do that at times when she was younger, and then one day it just stopped. I was very concerned with the behavior but friends, family, doctor and my day care provider all assured me it was normal and there was nothing to worry about. If you are wondering though, you can always call and ask the doctor and see what they say...I always believe that a mother should follow their instincts no matter how silly they feel. :)
    MansfieldMomma

Answer by MansfieldMomma at 9:44 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My son does it. My son also has ezcema so I think he is trying to figure out how to make his skin stop itching when he does it (he'll get dry patches on his neck and ears).
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Something got my attention you said that he shakes his head even when he is sleeping, to me that grants a visit with a neurologist. Call your pediatrician and ask for a referral. No doctor can replace a mother's gut instinct, if you feel that something is out of the ordinary, investigate and don't let people pacify you, nobody knows your child better than you. Are there any other behaviors in addition that concerns you?
    bebita

Answer by bebita at 9:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• my DD does it & she'll be 1 in a few days. she does it the most when she's sleepy. i think she's trying to keep herself awake. she's been doing this since she was about 4 months old & theres nothing wrong w/ her.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• LOL My dd used to it, now both my nieces do it, I thought it was cute.  My husband taught her when she was an infant, the other two just started doing it.  I think it's a baby thing.  :)

Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My son has done that from the time I've had him. He's one now. It's normal. I think it's just him getting comfortable before he goes to sleep.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• My daughter is almost 10 months and she does it too and I was wondering about it but I noticed she really only does it when she is teething. She shakes her head 'no' just to be silly sometimes like if I say 'yes' then she says 'no'. So I wonder sometimes too if she is dreaming and doing it in her dream! She's all normal otherwise so I wasn't too concerned about it.
    slynnb

Answer by slynnb at 10:47 PM on Jun. 5, 2009