how do i get my baby sleeping on her own?

my baby is 6 and a half months old and ive been trying to get her to go to sleep without my help (rocking her) but she throws awful fits what do i do? just let her cry or what? anyone got any advice?

mom2b112108

Asked by mom2b112108 at 10:22 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i know it's very controversial (for whatever reason) but sometimes it is OK to let baby cry it out. as it even states in "what to expect when expecting" if a child has trouble going to sleep with excessive crying, leave baby in the crib for approx. 10 minutes. once 10 minutes has gone by, if baby is still crying then go in, comfort, and try again. you as her mother know what her cries mean and if she was in real pain you would know it but if she is just mad then you have to be firm. my MIL once told me in the beginning babies tell you what to do but by 6 months you have to tell them what to do or else they will be trying to run the show! if she is fed, changed, and not feeling sick or in pain, then she can cry and it's actually good for her to learn how to calm herself down once in a while.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:30 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• for my son i actually put him in his bed and let him cry himself to sleep the first time and when its time to put him to bed again i talked to him and let him no that mommy couldnt always put him to sleep and in about 4 days he was sleeping on his own.
    christina7389

Answer by christina7389 at 10:28 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Just keep rocking her to sleep until she is a little older and ready to go to sleep on her own. she will when she is ready!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:32 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I agree with Christina, my son was 3 1/2 and my daughter was 1 1/2 and he wouldn't go to sleep by his self. This was a hugh problem for us. So I ask a counselor she said just put him to bed and let him cry himself to sleep that " No child has ever cried them self to death" It took some time. But it did work. ( wish we would of done it alot sooner , cause I think if it was up to him I would still be rocking him today .. LOL at age 18 )
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 10:45 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Im really against the cry it out method. It causes stress and they just go to sleep scared and worn out from crying. Id rather my baby by to sleep knowing theyre loved and cared for.
    Try reading the No Cry Sleep Solution- its a great book.
    Kelleysunshine

Answer by Kelleysunshine at 12:05 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I'm realy not sure but?.. my son would not sleep by him self until 3mounth's when i put him in his crip..he fell fast asleep..i would just say maby holding her close to you after eating she should go to sleep right away...
    Desiree09458

Answer by Desiree09458 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 6, 2009