What do you do with your child during the summer?

Especially for working moms with working partners.

DH and I were talking about this earlier, because this seems to be an age where they are almost too old for a sitter, but too young to be left alone...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:01 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would not leave my kids home alone all day every day for three months no matter what their age, because bored kids get into a lot of trouble...
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:21 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• What about a summer camp or talk to some of your kids friends parents and rotate days that you watch their kids and they watch yours. What about spending time at a family members house.? Do they have cousins they can visit with? By the way how old are your kids?
    michelle0228

Answer by michelle0228 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Day camp
    Overnight camp
    summer school

Answer by rkoloms at 11:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• what ever will make them happy
    ilovewes

Answer by ilovewes at 6:52 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• He stays home alone, comes to work with me, goes to his grandparents or he goes to my exbf's house (not his father, just took on the roll). He will be 13 in July and does great by himself.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My DH is a SAHD - so no worries here.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 11:27 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My kids are too young to stay at home alone, my 17yr old SD will watch them for short periods of time, and my 12yr old stepson can stay at home alone for short periods of time (2-3hrs tops) - he is not allowed to leave the house, but we rarely do that. I am fortunate enough to be in a position where either myself or my DH are at home most of the time, so it's not an issue for us. When SS12 goes to his mom's for the last part of the summer, he will likely be on his own at home, all day with no supervision from 7am-5pm every day.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:28 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My SO and I are trying to work opposite each other so we don't need sitters as often. My mom usually fills in if we're in a bind. We can't afford to pay somebody and I'm definitely not putting them in daycare. They're too old for that.
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 12:23 AM on Jun. 7, 2009

• boys and girls club is super fun for kids and cheap. or maybe you have recreation centers or check a college that might have summer activities for children
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 11:37 PM on Jun. 7, 2009

• I understand completely what you mean.. Im a full-time working mother of a 9 yr old & at this age she's a bit too old to be going to daycare all day long (IMO). So I decided to let her go to the Boys & Girls Club. Check the state where you live to see if the club is offered there. Its a very low cost summer camp & there is tons of things for your kid to do there. They also serve free breakfast, lunch & snacks Good Luck.
    Lextacy

Answer by Lextacy at 11:07 AM on Jun. 8, 2009