aren't wasps supposed to sleep?

ok so i have had a day filled with wasps (which by the way, im deathly afraid of and hate with a passion and i try to avoid them at all costs). my first run in with a wasp was driving down the road with my windows down and a stupid wasp kept trying to get in my jeep. i quickly roll the windows up in hopes it would go away. when he couldnt get in through the windows, he decided to attempt to come in through the door. im having a panic attack trying to figure out how to make him go away. he rode with me for MILES! he finally went away and i thought i was done with them for the day. well i just walked outside, and there was another wasp. its 10:00 at night. dont they sleep? it was right out my door and then crawled on my door. so i waited a few minutes and it wouldnt go away. finally i got up enough courage to run in past it, and it followed me in! my hubby killed it!! :) my question is, do they sleep?

SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 11:02 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I think it is called dormant more then sleep. If it is cold or dark they are calm and still. That is when you get them. I have sprayed that wasp spray when they are like that and they never know what hit them. They have no time to get pissed off and sting. That is when they would fall and I would squash them with my shoe.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• they do.. but if there's any kind of light or movement they awaken very easily. You have to get them when they are just crawling around on things at night and early in the morning when its still cool.. they don't usually wake up enough to avoid being killed then
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 11:33 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Smoke makes the sleepy. So turn into a pyro in your back yard!
    Glickstein

Answer by Glickstein at 11:50 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Wow, a wasp following me for miles and then one following me into the house would freak me out!
    I hate all stinging insects, too, and would have been frightened by the whole experience.
    I'm glad you didn't get stung.
    If there was one outside your door, you may want your husband to look for any nests and spray it with the appropriate Raid to kill it and then take the nest down when they are all dead, but use a long stick, just in case.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:23 AM on Jun. 6, 2009