How to ensure that I don't have to be near SO's mom during luncheon?

We are going to a buffet-style restaurant for a little b-day luncheon for my dd's birthday. I was hoping that a lot of people would show up (to act sort of like a "buffer" between me and SO's mom), but it's looking like a few people won't be able to make it. The fewer people there are, the more likely it is that I'll have to sit facing her or god forbid NEXT to her. Should I gently suggest a seating arrangement to my SO, so I can make sure I don't sit where I have to look directly at her or next to her? I am trying to avoid a confrontation with her.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Relationships

• Well I would be nice about it and if there are spaces near his mom I would say "here honey why don't you sit next to your mom?" and then sit on the other side of him. That way you are not right near her. Maybe more people will show up, or she will sit at the far end away from you. good luck, I hope all goes well.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• You can suggest it, but the best laid plans of mice and moms aft gang agley, so be prepared to have to face her. Just remember YOU are the bigger person at all times. Be pleasan t and polite and smile, nod and ignore.

If she actually insults you, SO needs to say something. If he DOESN'T, then you need to find a new SO.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:35 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I think that my advice would depend on your relationship (or lackthereof) with her. What has caused the rift between you two? Is it something you'd prefer to resolve? Would life be easier if you got along or were, atleast, civil to eachother? If all else fails - shove your face full of food, so much so that you can't possibly carry on a conversation with her...let alone anyone else.
    MommyDumDum

Answer by MommyDumDum at 11:40 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Stay busy with your dd. and like gdiamante said keep it pleasant and polite and remember the day is for your Daughter. It will only last a little while and then you'll be away from her.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 11:41 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• OP

She's been written out of my life. She did something so low-down that I will NEVER forgive her. I haven't spoken to her in months, and don't intend to anymore. She's what is known as a toxic individual. I refused to be poisoned by her any longer.
    Anonymous

• We already told you it was a dumb idea to have this little girl's birthday at a restaurant unless it's chucky cheese or some other kid's fun place. You chose this stupid idea so deal with her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:02 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• OP
    Anon 1202, I don't know what the heck you're talking about...I just joined cafemom yesterday! Go screw yourself
    Anonymous