Does anyone know the average length of time it takes to house train a puppy?

karasue10

Asked by karasue10 at 2:18 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Pets

• It will seem like forever!!! ... hang in there..all puppies take different times..depends on how smart they are and that can depend apon the breed. Just like people..some are brighter than others. LOL
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 2:24 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• EVERY puppy is different

How To House Train Your Puppy Quick and Easy! | eHow.com

You will soon know how long it takes for your specific pet in a day or two. ... If the pup is taking a long time to house train, remember it is up to you to ...
    www.ehow.com/how_2262071_house-train-puppy-quick-easy.html -
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 3:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• It all depends on how much time u put into the training....I litter trained 2 of my chihuahuas, it took approx. a week for the pups to get it down pat...Diane :-)
    dichihuahua

Answer by dichihuahua at 5:53 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Just as vbruno said, every puppy is different.
    And for that matter, every breed is different. For instance, dachshunds (wiener dogs) are known to be the hardest dog to house train.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 5:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I think I remember it taking 3 months with my dog. Once I trained her to ask to go out (by scratching the door) it was a done deal. Until then I had to keep her leashed and attached to me whenever she was out of the crate. Good luck!
    Kristabell

Answer by Kristabell at 6:12 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• You can probably get a used copy of how to housetrain a dog in 7 days--If you truly follow it, you can probably do it in 1 week. My husband and I both work so it was difficult but it only took about 2-3 weeks. You must follow it though regardless of how much of a pain it is. My dog would probably explode now before he would go in the house. We have left him for up to 12 hours (no, not in intentionally) and he was fine.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Housebreak-Your-Days-Revised/dp/0553382896
    georgeswife5014

Answer by georgeswife5014 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 24, 2008

• It can take a couple of weeks, or it could take YEARS. I highly recommend leash training your puppy. Do NOT paper train him. You NEVER want to tell your dog that it's OK to pee on the floor. Anyway, walk your dog on the leash (or if you have a yard, go out there with him) and WATCH him go pee, then praise him like crazy! If you want your dog to learn a trick, tie a little bell to the door handle & ring it every time you take him to go out to pee... he'll eventually start doing it when he wants you to let him out. It takes a little work, but if you really stick to your routine, it will be worth it!
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:41 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• It takes me a week
    Mel

Answer by Mel at 12:58 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• If you use a kennel to train with you can do it in a week. NOT CRUEL! Keep puppy in crate while you are not around...they won't use the bathroom where they sleep...make sure to get the right size, too big and it gives them a 'bathroom' too small well, just not enough room to turn around, stand etc. Make sure you take him immediately to where you wish him to use the bathroom when you let him out...lots of praise and positive reinforcement. Spanking and Bad Dog yells will not work, only make puppy afraid of you and scared! Make sure you let him out often! If a pup uses the bathroom in a kennel, it's YOUR fault for not letting him out often enough! You can have him trained in a week with this method. My dogs still go sleep in their kennels with the doors opened at night...a private bedroom that's their quiet space. Remember though...little puppy = little bladders and must be let out more often!
    munkeyduste

Answer by munkeyduste at 10:55 PM on Sep. 24, 2008