Whats an IEP?

I always hear about kids having IEP's at school .... Could someone please explain what this is?
Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:52 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in General Parenting

• Individualized education plan--it sets goals and objectives for a child who has needs withing the educational setting. So if, a child has a learning disability it will state the services he/she is to receive, what the type of services will be, and who will help, what the objectives are to be for that child.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 11:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• IEP = Individual Education Plan....An IEP is for a student who requires specially designed instruction because of a disability or other serious health issue. A child who receives special education services will have an IEP.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• Individualized Education Plan.

It is geared towards children with some form of learning disability and plans thier education around that childs needs.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 11:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I have an IEP once a year because although my son has no learning disabilities (he's very smart)! He stutters and needs speech therapy to learn how to control it. THIS falls under special Ed. also.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 5, 2009

• I can't remember what the letters stand for but I do know it has something to do with testing your child to see if they belong in special education classes
    Anonymous

• An IEP is not just for the child with a learning disability; children who have physical disabilities (blind, deaf, CP, etc.), emotional or behavioral issues (ADHD, bipolar, ODD, anxiety, depression, etc.), and medical issues (diabetes, feeding tube, cancer, mitochondrial disorder, etc.) can also qualify for an IEP.

The key is that the child must require specially designed instruction that is different from the standard curricullum that a typical student would receive in order to benefit from their education. Students who have a disability, but do not require specially designed instruction, yet do require some accomodations in order to access their education, not benefit from it, should have a 504 Agreement.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:03 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• IEP, I remember that in school, its for kids in special ed classes mostly, but it can also be for a kid that is disabled but has the ability to handle taking regular classes, the kids that are in reg classes can ask their teacher if that they can go 2 the study hall classroom where they can get individual one on one help with there assignments. I took advantage of it, in a bad way I had my teachers in the study classroom basically writing my papers for me without them realizing it, that was my way of getting my parents back for putting me in the IEP even after I said I didn't need it, they always thought I couldn't do anything for myself
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 12:33 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I hated the stupid meetings they'd have about me, they would force me to miss my classes just 2 be @ the stupid meeting. And everytime they would schedule it during my vet class, that's the whole reason I was going to that school and they'd make me miss it 4 a stupid meeting, I missed a lot of important classes bcuz of IEP, like the one on how 2 doc a pigs tail, numbering clipping the ears, and filing their teeth, all that missed cuz of IEP
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 12:40 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I just re-read my answers and it sounds like im venting alittle, sorry.
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 12:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• You can have an IEP for a lot of things. My ds was in all advanced classes, always got great grades, and he had an IEP, because he was in speech therapy.

It just means that your child needs something outside of the norm in some area or another. The IEP is an Individualized Education Plan that spells out, in writing, what, EXACTLY, that need is, and what, EXACTLY, the school has to do to meet that specialized need.

It's good, because it keeps the parents, the teachers / school, and, frequently, the child (not all kids see their IEP), and, depending on why they have it, the Drs, all on the same page, making sure the kid is getting what they need from the people that should be providing it.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:00 AM on Jun. 6, 2009