epidural question (I need answers from moms who chose to have one and moms who chose not to)

I am scared to death at the idea of getting an epidural! I am very frightened of needles and every time I think about having the epidural I feel nauseous and I get chills down my spine. lol

My questions are, was getting the epidural as bad as it seemed? If you chose to get an epidural, how was your birthing experience overall and do you wish you hadn't gotten an epidural? And for those of you who chose not to have an epidural...why didn't you? and how was your birthing experience overall? Do you wish you had gotten an epidural?

Another thing...I'm completely terrified of having a c-section but I keep being told by family that they have a feeling I will have to have one. Was a c-section bad for anyone that had one? How was the healing process?

Thanks girls!

javila

Asked by javila at 11:55 PM on Jun. 5, 2009 in Pregnancy

• ok 1st baby epidural didnt hurt, not afraid of needles but it didnt work made labor worse and more painful
    2nd baby got epidural agin. and it worked!!! was awsome went from 4-10 in like 2 hrs. it wore off when it was time to push.

my sisters had c-sections i was young and i swore i would never get one unless it was a life or death situation
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• getting the epidural was the best thing that i could have got. I was so scraed to get it. and having to sit very still for 3/5 min was sooo hard and pain full . but it sure helped. adn all i felt was pressure.
    aprilsalcro

Answer by aprilsalcro at 12:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I have 2 births so far and i did not have an epidural with either one of them. labor hurts dont get me wrong but i do not think that it is the screaming nightmare that everyone tries to make it out to be. as long as you breath through the pain and don't hold your breath then everything will be just fine. and just so you know i think i am a big baby when it come to pain.

twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 12:04 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I've had epidural in both y pregnancies, and both times i was having strong contractions so the needle did not hurt at all. You can rest during labor, rest that you will need, because right after you will have a baby who will be hungry. During the actual birth you can be focuse on giving bith and not the pain. Well that was my experience, and if i do it again i will for sure get an epidural. GOOD LUCK.
    stephania01

Answer by stephania01 at 12:04 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• getting an epidural was amazing!! Once your in labor and you feel how intense the contractions are you will totally forget about your fear of needles! not to mention you dont even see the needle. I was kinda scared to have one too (although i wasnt letting that change my mind by all means!) but they give you a little poke that numbs the area first before they do the actual epi, and all you feel then is some pressure. Once it kicks in you dont care how long labor last! It was great!
    EthansMommy5

Answer by EthansMommy5 at 12:06 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I chose not to have an epidural, I had mine natural( 4 times). Wasn't too bad. Your on such a happy high that the pain is easy over looked. But everyones different. My sister in law had a C-section and had a epidural so she wouldn't miss anything. But to me she slept alot afterwards. I was in with her throw the C-section and she was tickled getting to see him right awayrather than waking up later like she had with her others.. Best of luck
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 12:06 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Epi's arn't that bad. Not to scare you or anything but my second one was painful. They had issues getting it in the right spot and it sent extreme pain down my right leg but I had to be still anyway. I didn't have a choice in getting one though. I had pre-clampsia with both and I had to have an epi. I had a walking epi (could still feel my legs and move them) so once the baby dropped down into the canal I could feel the pain. Labor itself was a breeze though. I was laughing and joking with dh up until I hit 8 cm.

Even with my bad experience with my second epi if I was to have another baby I would still get one. Everyone is different. If you do decide to get one don't look at the needle. Read up on the possible side effects so they won't catch you off guard. With my first one I had no side effects and with my second I had the back pain for a few weeks and the shakes really bad for a couple of hours. Good luck!
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 12:07 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Well, didn't want to have an epidural but I ended up having one. BIG scary needle, very little pain actually. I mean, compared to the contractions it was nothing. Secondly, I haven't had a c-section but my mother and a couple of my friends have... it really wrecks your body. Because they actually CUT the muscle you'll never be able to get the pre-baby body back.... healing time is slow and painful, and you don't get to enjoy your baby as much. (That's simply what I've seen)
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 12:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I was terrified to get an epidural. I was in labor and up for 3 days straight (worst pain of my life). When they finally admitted me into Labor & delivery I asked for the epidural right away. Not only did I not even know he put the needle in, it was like instant relief. I got to sleep and enjoy my daughters birth and not focus on the pain. Best decision I have made! Wouldnt do it any other way. Good Luck!!
    AudreysMommy798

Answer by AudreysMommy798 at 12:10 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I choose not to get an epidural with both births and I'm very happy. My second was completely all natural.. no interventions and it was a wonderful and empowering experience, and I'm glad I choose it for my sake and even more for my baby's sake. Look up more info on epidurals. There are many risks factors, including the fact that a needle is going into your spine (could cause back problems, sometimes perminant), also if you decide to get an epidural your risk factors go up for you and the baby, you give up control of your birth into the hands of the doctor because of the fact that you are numb down there, your chances for c-sec increase for many reasons. There is so many reasons to not get an epidural. I definitely DO NOT recommend getting it.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2009