• In the Spotlight:

How many of you are with a man thats not your childs "real" dad?

(I am not with my sons "father").. Do you ever struggle with the whole step dad thing?.... My man calls himself "daddy by default" hahahaa

HaviksMum

Asked by HaviksMum at 12:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Yep, I'm with a man who is not the "biological father" of my child, but he sure is his daddy! Any man can aid in the creation of a child, it takes a real man to raise that child. I think it takes even MORE of a man to raise a child that isn't biologically his, and I think my DH for that!
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 12:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My SO is not my son's "father" either, but I don't really find myself struggling with it. Probably because we have been together since he was 13 months, so he doesn't know that he isn't daddy. He calls him daddy && my SO doesn't have a problem with it. My SO said the only thing is, whether or not his real dad comes back into his life he wants to tell my son the truth && let him decide whether or not he wants to still call him dad or not. Which I totally agree with, I would never lie to my son about that, so it's not a problem. we decided when he's about 5 or so && can understand it, we will explain the situation to him. My SO has 2 children of his own and a step-daughter from his 1st marriage that he takes care of also && he treats every one of them the same.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:36 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• We never had a problem . My girls call him Dad, have always looked up to him as their dad.( They still and always have seen their real father) I just explained to them that they was luckier than most cause they had 2 Dad's that loved and cared about them very much. Now that they are getting older, I do see them turning to him more than they do their " real" father. But think it's cause he's been there more.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 12:39 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my dd calls my dh daddy mark and my ex daddy adam. my dh spends way more time with her the her bio dad does and he does more with her to. so dh and i descided not to correct her but to let her deside for herself what she want to call him.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 12:40 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my son (hes 2) calls my man "Nonny".. (his name is jon, or jonny) but sometimes he calls him daddy, or babe hahahhahahah just cus he hears me call him that, its so funny. weve been together over a year, and since my son was only 7 months old..They love eachother to death. I just wish sometimes my man would hold him, or give him more kisses just for no reason..
    HaviksMum

Answer by HaviksMum at 12:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I have 2 kids...1 is w/my fiance, but my oldest is w/my ex. Since she's 11 & hormonal as heck, we've been having more & more issues w/it. She used 2 call him "Daddy Red" (his nickname is RedBone) but now its just RedBone or a roll of her eyes. She takes anything he says personal these days. But, he's always been good 2 her & she'll be the 1st to say that. She does see her bio dad about every 3 weeks & he, too, is great w/her. She is truly blessed! :c)
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 12:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my daughter is biologically not my so's but it doesnt bother him one bit. she was 18 months when we got together and since that day, he has been totally and completely wrapped around her little finger. she is now 4 and you would never know she wasnt his
    heartsandskulls

Answer by heartsandskulls at 1:09 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• My husband is my second husband and is not the bio of my oldest daughter, BUT he is the ONLY father she has EVER known in her entire life.
    He came into our lives before she turned 2 years old and she took to him immediately. When we knew we were having a serious relationship and moved in together he and I allowed her to call him daddy. He felt so proud and was so awesome at it!
    My first husband always thought of himself so he never had anything to do with her since I was pregnant so she never knew him. He never bothered with her ever. She did look him up when she was 18, but she quickly learned why we divorced and why I never spoke of him to her.
    To this day, my husband is, and always will be, her daddy. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:51 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I got very lucky and happened to marry a man who is an incredible father figure to my two kids. Both of my children (our children as he has so blatantly point out) are very very close to him. He understands and supports their relationship with their father and at the same times makes sure that they also know he is there for them as well. He has never missed a school function, a sporting event or any major medical appt. He sits up and has deep conversations with them both and he gets kisses from them every night before bed. He has cleaned up puke...spend late nights in the ER...had long talks about boys and about girls....mended broken hearts and dreams.
    My oldest is 17.5(DD) and my youngest is 13 (DS)...our DD says she will have both of her dads walk her down the aisle when she gets married...I love this man...it can happen ladies!!!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 9:07 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I married my husband when my son was 4,and my daughter was almost 2. He had never had kids,and had been told he couldn't,due to Rheumatic fever as a child. So, he was more than happy to be a stepdad,and loves my kids like they are his own. Always have. My son is now 24, and my daughter 22,and has 2 kids of her own, who he loves with all his heart,and is "Papa" to. The whole stepdad thing has never really been a problem, we are very fortunate. Actually,it's the kids who are. my ex-husband also married a woman who never had kids,and loves our's as her own,as well. We've all grown up over the last 20+ years,and get along very well,now. And, the icing on the cake is that, God blessed my husband with the child he never thought he'd have. Our son together will be 16 in November. God is Good!
    stvmen88

Answer by stvmen88 at 9:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2009