66 year old woman gave birth to a baby boy in Cambridge. She used IVF to become pregnant with the baby. What is your opinion on this?

I think it is too old. Just because we have the technology, doesn't mean it should be used (think Octo-mom). She is being selfish and isn't thinking about her son or his health. His life with his mom will be cut short. Chances of her making it to his high school graduation are slim in comparison to children with "regular" aged mothers. He will grow up having to care for his elderly mother. It isn't like this was some miracle. She planned this out and paid quite a bit to have the IVF done. She had to travel to another country to find a Dr to do the IVF.
Before you jump up my ass about being judgmental, my mother was in her late 40s when she had my two youngest sisters. I see what they deal with on a regular basis. They literally spend their day cooking, cleaning, and caring for her. She took them out of school so she could have them to help her full time. They are 14 and 16 now. They don't have friends or do normal teen stuff.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I hope she's got a good & YOUNG nanny bc she's not going to be able to keep up with the child in a few years! I bet she doesn't even live to see the child's high school graduation. What a cruel thing to purposely do to a child. Have it that late in life (for vanity and selfish reasons, probably attention) and purposely leave the child an orphan within a few years. That's just wrong imo.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:39 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• OP here- Good point anon. That is the same thing that happened to my sisters. My mom was just too worn out when they reached 4,5,6, etc that she just couldn't chase them around or take them places. Most days they would stay home and watch TV. I was a teenager at the time and ended up being the one who would take them to the park or zoo, wake up early with them, and just do the fun things in life. Everywhere I went people just stared at me in disgust because they thought I was 16 with a 1 year old and 3 year old. When they were school aged a lot of days I drove them and picked them up because my mom couldn't do it. She can hardly walk now days and doesn't go anywhere with them. For her to walk from the family room to the kitchen is too hard and she is too stubborn to use a wheel chair or even a walker. I feel terrible not being able to help more, but I have kids of my own now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• i think it is very sad for the child. she know that she will not be around for the majority of his life, its not fair, to know your gonna be lost ,to the one you create, in such little time......its very selfish. The pain of losing someone so dear is horrible, why the hell did she do this?/?!!!!
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I agree with you on this. My DH mother had him later in life ( surprized her really) But his father was in poor health before he was even crawling. To him he missed out on so much with his father that his brother and sister didn't ( they are like 16 and 18 yrs. older than he is ) Plus he had to deal with losing his father when he was at a young age. His mother is still living ( a blessed woman, that I adore) But wasn't easy.
    I heard the lady is turning 67 next month and she did hire a nanny , but still I don't feel she thought of the child at all.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 12:49 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• To each their very own.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 12:51 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I would say "Congratulations!!" What makes her a worse mother or a mother who "won't be around for her kids graduation.."? There are many younger mothers who don't show up to their childrens graduation. There are sorry younger mothers who won't clean house, and who lay around all day watching tv, smoking, and hanging with boyfriends instead of caring for their children. There are many a younger mother who has health issues that can't run and play with their little guys.

Its a crack up to see peoples debate on this.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 12:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• well. atleast she's not 66 and just gave birth to EIGHT babies.
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:58 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• lifeasinoit: ....and your point is? Just because there are bad mothers who are a normal age doesn't mean that elderly mothers will be good ones. This is the same stupid augment that is used to defend teen moms and it never proves anything. Just because some men in their 30s are alcoholics doesn't mean that some men in their 20s aren't. That logic doesn't make any sense.
    People aren't saying that this woman won't make it to her sons graduation because she will be too lazy, drunk, or just won't care they are saying that physically the chances of her making it are not in her favor. She is likely to be dead, or in poor health. It isn't that younger mothers don't have the same risk of being dead or in poor health, it is just that with her it isn't as much as a risk as it is something that will happen sooner rather than later.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I think its wrong...but your playing with age discrimination, can we draw a line in the sand? I say 50.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• i say congrats
    who are you to say it is wrong?
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 2:14 AM on Jun. 6, 2009