is she completely ready for kindergarten?

My DD will be 6 on August 4th. She will be starting kindergarten this year. She knows and can write and recognize the whole alphabet, count to 40 on her own. can write and spell her name, knows all her colors and shapes. And read a tiny bit. Is she completely ready, or should she know more?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• She sounds perfectly ready to me!
    If she is ahead of the other kindergarteners, but not ready for first grade, speak to her teacher about allowing her to stay ahead of the other children in those areas.
    I taught my oldest daughter myself before she attended kindergarten and when she began they had her slow down to the speed of the other kids, which was really sad because she became bored. I wish I had had the nerve to ask her teacher to allow her to stay ahead, but I always quake in front of authority figures.
    I still continued to allow my daughter to learn at the pace she wanted when she was at home - she loved to practice writing and loved to read on her own - we visited the library frequently.
    I hope your daughter has a ton of fun in kindergarten!!! :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 6:44 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• She's been ready! lol, I was a late enroller as well. I couldn't let him go when he was still 4! My heart broke and I kept him at home another year. When I took him the next year, they were like..."Ma'am you do realize he could go straight to 1st grade legally if you choose to". I put him in kinder. If a child turn 5 before Dec. 15 of that school year they can go into kinder and in my opinion they should. Now my son will be 18 when he starts his Senior year and that just gives them the excuse of "I'm an adult now and don't have to go".
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 12:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Well she couldnt go last year because we messed the deadline. Her it is August 1st, but her b day is August 4th, so 3 day diff, and they wouldnt let her slide.
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 12:54 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I would say she is definitely ready. My DD is turning 5 on Sunday and she can recite the alphabet, count to 30, write some of the letters, recognize some of the letters, recognize her name and attempt writing it (she gets halfway through her first name before she forgets the letters), and knows her colors and shapes. She tested for kindergarten in the end of March, and she is at a 6 year old level in testing. So if my DD is ready and she can only do that much, I am POSITIVE yours is ready lol!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Yes. I had my daughter go to a pre-school after she missed the deadline. You had to be 5 by Labor day. My daughter's birthday is September 26th I should have insisted that she go straight to 1st grade. Because the public kindergarten was academically behind the private pre-school. So she was bored. My daughter will be 18 most of her senior year too.

If she can use the bathroom unassisted. Zippers, snaps, buttons that is a plus ( it is amazing how many kids can't ) Also that she knows how to tie her shoes. Many times girls have never worn shoes with laces and they will need them for gym. Otherwise your daughter sounds ready to me.
    CelticFaerie

Answer by CelticFaerie at 3:20 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• the only thing she cant do is tie her shoes. she can go to the bathroom unassisted as well
    BIMOM21

Answer by BIMOM21 at 3:36 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Yep, she is most definitely ready for Kindergarten. I work in Kindergarten as an Instructional Assistant and some start knowing a lot less than that. Her teachers are going to love her and you for taking the time for teaching her what you have.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:39 AM on Jun. 6, 2009