Cremation

Is getting your body cremated a sin?

rhanford

Asked by rhanford at 12:45 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It doesn't matter. God knows where to find us when the time comes.
    Hinson, only God has immortality, man is mortal, subject to death. (Job 4:17; 1 Timothy 1:17; 1 Timothy 6:16) The "soul" dies, the soul is the breath ("ruwach" and "pneuma" in Greek also translated "spirit " in Strong's dictionary--example Job 27:3 ) and body together. When a person dies the breath returns to God Who gave it and the body returns to the ground. ( Ezekiel 18:4,Genesis 2:7,Psalm 146:3-4, Ecclesiastes 9:5-6) "Ye shall not surely die" is the first lie Satan ever told man (Genesis 3:1-4).
    The dead will remain asleep in their graves and receive their reward upon Christ's return. (Ps. 13:3; Acts 7:59-60; Rev. 22:11-12, Daniel 12:2; Rev. 14:13; John 5:28-29; John 11:11-14; 1 Cor. 15 )
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 7:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• As we experience more land shortage, more people are considering cremation as opposed to burial. However, how does the teaching of the Bible apply to cremation? God created man out of the dust of the ground (Gen. 2: 7). The spirit of man was created in the likeness of God (Gen. 1: 27). The body of man returns to the dust and the spirit being incorruptible, returns to God (Gen. 3: 19, Eccl. 12: 7, I Pet. 3:4).
    Death is separation, scripturally speaking. In illustrating the futility of an inactive faith (no works), James taught: "For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also" (Jas. 2: 26). The body is simply the dwelling place or physical habitat for the spirit of man in this material existence (2 Cor. 4:16-5: 9). Hence, when the spirit departs the body, the body is dead. Jesus said man only has power over the body, man cannot kill the spirit (Lk. 12: 4).
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• The body will be raised. The resurrection of the body will be universal (Jn. 5:28,29). The sea and grave will give up the dead, that is, the bodies (Rev. 20: 13). However, the body which will be raised appears to be different in that it will be spiritual and not natural (I Cor. 15: 42-44).

The body returns to its primary elements. When the body is buried in the earth, decomposition or corruption occurs. Over time, the body returns to the dust. In the process of cremation, the process of the decomposition of the body (returning to the primary elements) is hastened.
    Your writer prefers burial. However, I must hold this preference only as an opinion. I do not know of any biblical truth which would make cremation within itself sinful. If you know of such a truth, please share it with me. We must allow liberty when there is no binding teaching (cf. Gal. 2: 3-4).
    hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:49 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I don't think so. I thought it was horrific when I was a Catholic. The idea of the flames of hell and all of that.
    But since then I have started questioning the church and no longer think God cares what happens to my body when I am dead.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:50 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I hope not. I'm planning on having it done!

Answer by admckenzie at 1:32 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• 3Yet not even Titus, who was with me, was compelled to be circumcised, even though he was a Greek. 4This matter arose because some false brothers had infiltrated our ranks to spy on the freedom we have in Christ Jesus and to make us slaves.

I don't get what you meant by linking this verse sorry lol.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:34 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• It doesnt matter because the body is just the shell. The spirit is gone from it, so I doubt God cares what you do with the body. I wouldnt want to be cremated, and its not traditional for my family but I do know others who will and where it is, so I would respect whatever that person told me to do with them. My grandmother is our family matriarch and she told us that when she dies, she doesnt want any funeral or nothing. No flowers. She doesnt want anyone to make a fuss over her. I said, well I think youd better put that in writing because Im planning on singing at your funeral. Oh she also said no church. Shes a christian but she hates church...LOL. She wants to have a grave side ceremony only. No funeral homes, or a big hoopla about it. Shes so funny.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:00 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Nope.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• For me it would be a greater sin to pollute the earth with my dead body than to undergo the purification of fire.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 12:05 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• YES I will be put into the ground like I should
    Anonymous