Plastic bottle explosives shut down school...

Police were questioning an 18-year-old San Ysidro High School student Friday after as many as 13 explosive devices were found at the school, a San Diego fire department spokesman told CNN.

The fire department arrived at the school at 3 p.m., said Maurice Luque, after six devices, constructed in plastic bottles exploded. A search turned up seven more bottles, he said.

The bottles contained acid and another substance, which he said he would not identify, and were designed to explode.

Authorities put the school on lockdown for an hour. Friday was the last day of classes for the year, Luque said. The fire department was making another sweep of the school to search for any additional devices.

The unnamed teenager could face 13 felony counts of possession and use of a destructive device and another 13 counts of possession of bomb-making materials.

Another thing to make me wonder if sending my kids to school is best!

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 1:01 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I hear ya'll, however Pulblic schools are not the only ones. Someone come into a private school in Ohio a few years ago and opened fire.
    But think about the random shootings/bombs at shopping malls, banks, restaurants, churches. Imagine if you were in the strip mall where those Army recruiters were shot. Or if you were in church. There were gang shootings in historic/bar distric in San Diego a few weeks ago and a innocent 21 yr old was shot and killed. I just don't think the answer is avoidance. If people don't have guns, they use the internet and make bombs. There will always be something, somehwere... It's sad. I can't help but think there were warning signs ignored.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:23 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Homeschool or private is the way to go anymore.I am sick of the government run mess they can't do a thing right and too many parents don't even know wth the their kids are up to anymore.This is pathtic.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:05 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I would love to send my kids to private school but on the pay we get I can not afford it. It costs half of our yearly income for just one child to go to private school. :-( So, we pick the best public schools we can send them to (on the military base if at all possible wherever we are stationed at the time) and do what we can to teach them safety at school. I tell my kids that if they hear ANYONE even jokingly making a threat they are to report it immediately. If they know of a kid who is having real trouble at school with others, they need to let a teacher or someone know so that the situation can be monitored. My 12 year old has a cell phone that he takes to school so he can call me in case of emergencies because the area the school is in is not great. We just have to do what we can.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:13 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Good thing he didn't have a gun or someone might've been in danger!

So, 3 guesses on where he learned to make bottle bombs. And 3 more to guess who was not bothering to monitor him while he was using the answer to the first 3 guesses.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Wow. I loved homeschooling my girls and stories like this just remind me why I don't want to do that in Kandahar.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:52 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Don't wonder. I wish my kids would be interested in cyber school. That could be the wave of the future. No overhead, everyone works from home. There could be a number of families working together, like homeschoolers do. Everything is on line...even Wii could be physical education class. Don't count on the school system EVER going out of style, the teachers union is too powerful and the admins and union officials are in bed with each other. The public school system is as wasteful and ineffective as any other government mess. I know there are caring, competent educators around the country. They don't have the power to change the system though. That is an opinion from being on the inside observing a number of systems and many schools. It's pretty much across the board, IMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:57 AM on Jun. 6, 2009