anybody have gestational diabetes??

i was just tested for it and my test results were abnormal..so now i have to meet with a diet specialist.
i am kind of scared of it..i just want my baby to be healthy!!!
anybody else have it?

jeeennn

Asked by jeeennn at 1:24 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had it. It's nothing to be scared of if you follow the rules. I actually was really greatful that I had it because it helped me eat right and not gain too much weight. The biggest thing is to keep your total carbohydrate levels down because the baby could grow too much and too big. If you watch your diet then the baby and you will be fine. Most of the time the gestational diabetes goes away after you give birth but you have a greater chance at getting type two diabetes later in life. I had to test my blood 4 times a day. If I was consistanty over in my sugars, then they would have put me on insulin shots...but I was able to control it with my diet. Feel free to message me with any questions. You'll be fine if you follow what the diet specialist says.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 1:29 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I was with my youngest child who is now 22. I had to be ultra careful with my diet. I was on insulin during the pregnancy. After he was born withing about 6 weeks I didn't have to do anything but test once a day. 13 years later I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic. Thing only thing to be scared about is the bad crap that can happen if you refuse to follow the Dr/Dietitians instructions. High blood sugars left untreated does damage to your circulation, ability to heal, heart, eyes, kidneys....you get the picture. Just follow instructions and it should be fine. Be sure to write down any questions before you go so you'll remember to ask.

GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:36 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Well I found out that I 'might' have had it at 30 weeks prego. They found sugar in my urine so I was given the first test and like yours mine was abnormal. They required a second test to confirm it and it came back on the high side of normal, so they told me that to be safe they were going to say I did have it. My dr. had me get a blood sugar meter and I had to test my sugar twice a day everyday. To be honest I am very greatful that they did label me with it tho because they had me eat a special diet and it helped me not gain weight. My whole pregnancy I only gained 15 pounds! I myself actually lost weight and only gained"baby" pounds! Also I had to get nst testing every week and taht helped ensure me that my baby was alright. Also they will not let you go past your due date and that was the best part in my eyes! I think you'll be just fine just do as your dr says and don't let it get you down.
    AshleyG.

Answer by AshleyG. at 1:56 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I had it all 3 times, no big deal if you stick to the diet.
    BusyBeesmom

Answer by BusyBeesmom at 5:27 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• i am 33 weeks and i have it. its not to bad. i have to check my blood 4 times a day. once when i first wake up and the other 3 times 2 hours after i eat. it is annoying not being able to eat what you want but its worth it in the end. my blood sugar levels didnt change with just diet so they had to put me on medicine. but everything is okay now. you and the baby will be fine as long as you eat right.
    ALLIE637

Answer by ALLIE637 at 6:41 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• yaa i just have no idea what to eat. my doctor called me on friday and then told me the nutrition people would get ahold of me on tuesday..but what do i eat until then? ahhh i had a lot of questions but the doctors office couldnt answer any!!! i am also anemic. i am just worried since i am 29 weeks and they just found out that harm could have already been done to the baby!!!!
    ill follow whatever they give me.
    jeeennn

Answer by jeeennn at 2:51 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• It is highly unlikely for the baqby to be damaged. The biggest risk is the babies can get huge if not treated. Until you talk to nutrition try to avoid high carb/low fiber foods. Any processed sugars have to watched very carefully. pasta, potatoes, rice all need to be eaten with great attention to serving size. Most veggies are not a problem. Some fruits are problematic for some people. For me...watermelon and oranges are just not things I can eat. They spike my blood sugar way high. Berries..strawberries, raspberries, blackberries are all high in fiber and low in carbs. JUst remember refined sugars and flour are high carb foods. It will be fine. Until Tuesday Eat a diet that spares the junk food, easy on the bread, heavy on the veggies and fruit and protein. Complex carbs are your best friend.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:48 PM on Jun. 6, 2009