Our 21 year old cat...

has been in really good health. ( our Vet says he is unbelieveable for his age) he gets alittle OCD going on when he has had flea's before. but his over all has been well. Well the last 2 days he wants to lay in his litterbox. I call him and he sticks his head out but won't come out for me. My husband can get him to come out by calling him but he just goes back after a short period of being out. I made a bed for him in a closed in box thinking that maybe he would go to it instead , he stayed in it for a while but then I got up to check on him and he 's back in the litter box again.
My husband thinks the world of him. ( and has had him a LONG time.) But I'm worried that this just might be his age or his mind going .. anybody else ever heard of a cat doing this and why?

Shaqbe4u

Asked by Shaqbe4u at 2:12 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Pets

• WOW!! That's an old cat! Is it an indoor cat? All of our cats were indoor/outdoor cats and when they died, they would just wander into the field behind our house and die there. This could either be that your cat is losing his mind or maybe he may die soon. Either way, love that little kitty and be proud you have kept him so healthy for so long!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:17 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• He's always been a indoor cat. we use to let him out in the summers once in a while just to roam the yard for a few hours but he hasn't done that in the last year. He is the king . When I got my Min-Penn he whipped the snot out of him just to show him who owed the house. He has losted weight the last couple of years, Vet said that pretty normal. He eats mostly can food cause his front teeth are wore down so much. But we all love him dearly.
    Shaqbe4u

Answer by Shaqbe4u at 2:38 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I would suggest he be taken to the vet. He might have an illness that can be treated. But at his age, it is possible that he is on the path downhill.

Def take him in to be seen.

My 12 year old recently had a stroke that freaked me out I think he's getting old, I'd be so happy if he lived to be 21. He is perfectly fine now, but we worry about him aging.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 11:26 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• He may be just getting sort of senile. When I was growing up, we had a cat named "Meow" (original, I know). When she got to be about 16 or 17 years old, she just sort of got a little...kooky. She kept going out to the middle of the street and laying down and not moving. We lived in a neighborhood and the streets were fairly busy. We tried to get her to stop, but she wouldn't, and my dad eventually took her to be put down because we knew that eventually she was going to get run over. She was also quite arthritic and cranky at that point. Anyway, I'd have the vet check your kitty over to eliminate any unusual health problems, and if none are found, it may just be senility. 21 is a really old cat!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 2:58 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• my parents cat is 19 and he acts the sameway some day. he'll come in at nite and just stare off into space with the long far away look in his eyes. as long as he is eating, drinking,and going to the bathroom and doesnt seem to be in pain i wouldnt worry about it. he probably just doesnt have the energy to move anymore.
    rainmommy

Answer by rainmommy at 3:39 PM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Congratulations for having such an old kitty. you must take good care of him! :) I would definitely take him to the vet. We had a cat who did the same thing. It turned out that he had kidney failure. The vet could run some tests to determine what's going on, then you could decide how to handle the situation. Good luck!
    laurstarr

Answer by laurstarr at 5:45 PM on Jun. 10, 2009