Do you think we need "mommy time"

to relax read a book or just lay on the couch and watch a good love story? I know there are a few moms on here who belive we should put 100% of our life to our kids and so/dh. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 AM on Jun. 6, 2009 in Just for Fun

• every person needs some alone time at some point in time to stay sane and relax and keep cool... of course we as mothers deserve it most!
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:13 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• yes! I think all moms deserve to have 'mommy time' eithor every day, or a day on the weekends, or whatever fits into the schedule.

There are a lot of women here who really throw themselfs into the all day role of caregiver, and I think it is totally deserved.

I can't wait for my hubby to come home so I can have some mommy time. . . few more months. . few more months. .
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:14 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I think Alfie Kohn got it right: if you wanted to have the lifestyle you had previous to children, you should have got a goldfish. My sister says 'cabbage patch doll.' I thought 'poster.'

I read an interview with a woman who had 16 chidren. The author asked the stock 'modern, western' question: how did you get away from them to get time on your own? The mom was dumbstruck. Eventually she managed to say, 'if I wanted alone time, I wouldn't have had 16 children.'

Kids aren't toys, nor tvs. They aren't here to pick up and put down, or turn off and on as our whims take us. They need us when they need us -- not when it is convenient or attractive.

Parents need to find effective ways to rejuvenate themselves and stay energized and sane in a moment to moment way, because the child's need are constant and permanent... at least for the first 15 years or so. Making it clear to children that they are an impediment is not good.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 3:23 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• lindaclement i dont put my daughter down like a tv... the people that act as though they do not want or take time to themselves ever.. are the ones that are somehow going to implode or explode from craziness.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 3:25 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I do believe we deserve some mommy time. Our husbands get to get away from work shouldn't we? I sometimes wish I could just pause the day relaz and then begin again. Its healthy to have time alone to relax and stay sane. I wish i had this hubby thinks this is my job and i have to do it 24/7. Nice huh. a**hole. only cuz I don't have a "job" and i picked this as my job so that means I am suppose to do it 24/7. Nice
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:25 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• Heck ya! I make sure I have 30 mins to myself. In the morning I like to drink my coffe in the living room and just relax and watch the news. Or at night just paint my toe nails. DH is good about that. Usualy after dinner he will take the kids on a walk or to the park so I can have "me time"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:29 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I strongly believe that while our kids come first, that we should still have a "place on the list" as well. We need to be able to have Me time. Just like kids sometimes need a break from us - a playdate with a friend, a trip with Daddy for ice cream and Mommy doesn't come along, etc, we also need some time for ourselves.

That doesn't mean that we, as parents, shouldn't be flexible with that and accept that, say, my "me time" has to be canceled, because your child needs you. But it shouldn't be always canceled or pushed back.

It's also in how you approach it. It shouldn't be presented to the kids as "I need to get away from you" - it should be presented as Mommy needs some time to be alone." You can explain that just like sometimes they like to play by themselves, Mommy's and Daddy's do, too.

You can go overboard and be selfish with this, and that's not good, but

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:30 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• I agree with LlndaClement. Anyway, I get my 'mommy time' when my daughter is in bed or takes a nap.
    wanita61

Answer by wanita61 at 3:30 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• We ALL need a little time to our self. If the men can get away and go out why cant we.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:35 AM on Jun. 6, 2009

• cont
    You can go to the extreme and make it all about you and your me time, but the thing is, I think that not taking any time for "you", and being programed by many elements of society into thinking there's something wrong with wanting to still be a person, and not solely a parent, has contributed in a lot of ways to the rise in child abuse (and abuse / murder of their child by Mom's), and in divorce. This is my OPINION.

Also, the amount / frequency of "me time" you can take is also going to depend on the age and emotional / physical / social development of your child.

Our kids know they are important. They know that we felt that they were so important that their Dad and I decided together that I would give up my career and be a SAHM. They're teens, and I am still a SAHM who is very involved in their lives, activities, etc.

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:36 AM on Jun. 6, 2009